Whale Shark Sighting at the Flower Gardens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaOtter

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello to all on the Board.

I was, and still am so excited about seeing a whale shark last weekend I just had to share it with my fellow deep sea lovers.

I returned from my second Flower Gardens trip of the summer last Sunday night a different person. For, I was one of the lucky ones who got to swim with a 35-40(?) foot whale shark. I had just taken off my gear from our second dive of the day, when the captain told us that a w/s was circling the down line of the sister boat not too far away from us. It didn't take me long to grab my fins/snorkel and cheesy underwater camera, bought at a local grocery store, to head for the water! I had to swim quite a ways without knowing whether she'd be there or not but I was willing to take that chance!

Once there, I couldn't believe my eyes! There she was. There I was! I felt as if God was shining down on me. So docile and innocent. Calm without a care in the world. She cirlcled the boat about five times; I was lucky to catch the last three.

The whole experience is forever imprinted in my mind. Now, I know that in the future, when having a bad day, I can look back and say, "It's not all that bad; I've spent some time with a whale shark."

Cindy

Cindy,

Hi from NorTex. Liked reading about your experience and the photo turned out great for one of those off-the-shelf models. I think it's unique encounters like this that keep us all going back. Each time looking and hoping for something new and unusual that we've never seen before.

One day I hope to have the same encounter. Till then, well, I'll just keep getting wet until I do.

Jim

I saw my first one at the FG too. She just appeared out of the distance as we were doing our safety stop. She seemed to enjoy being touched and kept coming back and getting closer.

I'll never forget that one!

Cindy,
Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you...you are extremely lucky! I hope I get to see one someday as well. Cherish this experience for the rest of your life...

Ken

One day I am hoping for something like that as well.... So onto diving and keeping my fingers crossed!

Congratulations, now I'm very jealous.

SeaOtter:
I had just taken off my gear from our second dive of the day, when the captain told us that a w/s was circling the down line of the sister boat not too far away from us. It didn't take me long to grab my fins/snorkel and cheesy underwater camera, bought at a local grocery store, to head for the water! I had to swim quite a ways without knowing whether she'd be there or not but I was willing to take that chance!
Cindy

A LONG SWIM EH? Hummmm :06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom