Pig Popper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timeliner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So right now I'm working on the lay out of a good Summer time dive boat. The graphic design and paint is settled. Zebra stripes should present very little problem and in fact I have willing volunteers waiting with brushes in hand to paint the rig.
Even after carefull consult with my attorney I've still decided to mount at least a 3 inch diameter barrel potatoe cannon on the upper deck of the boat.
You know... " A Pig Popper" :D
What fun !!:rofl3:
Something of that size could also fire ping pong balls or stay puffed marshmellows too. Even all at the same time. We should be able to deliver a variety of payloads depending who is asleep on the beach when we drift by .

Ya'll have any good ideas :14:

Here is something I'm looking into. Especially the fin design of the potatoe.

potatoe.jpg

potatoe1.jpg

Frank,,,we can give her a try in Ok. this weekend....... :rofl3: :wink:

Frank! What are you doing now? LOL

I have designes for much better ones than the one I have here, this one is my first compressed air prototype and built it as a test, but can't see investing the time and money without having a place i can use it, this is like my 5th model with all previous ones being hair spray powered.

Attachments

• IMG_1492.JPG
    IMG_1492.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 47
I found a guy that would Rifle PVC for me, I put a changable barrel on it for shooting different projectiles and also for portability, assembled its about 8 feet long.

I've shot everything out of these from potatoes to road kill.

I good one is mud wrapped up in a tin foil ball jamed down the barrel, POW splatters on impact.

Frank what do you pump up with and to how man PSI?

I used a road bike pump and the highest I've gone is 110 psi.

I see we shop at a similar store, nice choice of diaphram valve:)

If there is a place we can legally shoot these I'd bring it out to play!

Attachments

• IMG_1490.JPG
    IMG_1490.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 39
My dream is to build one out of metal and power it with a multi stage pressure release to keep the pressures high as it travels.

I"ve gotten the best resaults with high volume low pressure air vs high pressure low volume, the sudden release shoots mash potatoes, vs low pressure and long barrel, longer the barrel the better, PSI isn't what gets you teh distance, its volume and length.

The other issue with the one I have, and knew it would be but tried to keep it cheap is air flow through restrictions and bends really slows down teh velocity of the air moving, multiple valves in parallels speed this up, I also would like to build a rear loader that can shoot things the size of 2 litter coke bottles and pumpkins but again, no place to shoot the stuff around here.

on a gas powered gun I put multiple reductions into it to generate higher pressures, reduced it down to a 3/4" barrell, it shot mash potatoes pressure was too high too fast, a paper wad behind it helped.

I've shot

Corn Cobs
Potatoes
Mud
snow slugs made by packing the barrel
a rat (dead)
rocks
hickory nuts
an arrow
lead shot
multple rocks
golf balls (requires special barrell cause the odd size)
super balls
nuts, bolts

basically anything I can get to fit in it

Word of caution I had a buddy mess his hand up real bad , he put it toether and used a grill lighter as his trigger, the fumes from the PVC cement built up enough that it lit and of course it wasn't curred enough so it flew apart.

FIXXERVI6:
I've shot

Corn Cobs
Potatoes
Mud
snow slugs made by packing the barrel
a rat (dead)
rocks
hickory nuts
an arrow
lead shot
multple rocks
golf balls (requires special barrell cause the odd size)
super balls
nuts, bolts

basically anything I can get to fit in it

Sycamore balls might leave a nasty welp, too. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom