Snorkel Corpus Christi Port Aransa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pillow

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone tell us a good place to snorkel from shore. Family with small children.
Thanks

The jetties at Port A, Packery Channel, and Fish Pass are probably the best that area has to offer. Visibility is bad to marginal most of the year. Late July thru September tends to clear up and can be good (25+ feet). Lots of fishermen on weekends but you can usually find some spots during the week. I have also taken small private boats out to inshore oil rigs which were good. In general, the rest of the shore (surf) is clear sandy bottom with little to attract interesting life other than transients.

I would exercise great caution when snorkeling around the gulf shore at Port A. The surf can be 1 - 3 feet and there are often some strong rip currents. The beach there is better suited to shallow swimming and boogie boarding. I would stick to the inland waters. The visibility will be limited, but you will be safe. A good spot might be the Laguna Madre off of SPID. Just be sure to stay well clear of the inter-coastal waterway that runs through it. If the kiddos want to see some live fish, take them to the Texas State Aquarium in Corpus Christi.

Back
Top Bottom