Q & A for TSD -- Lake Lanier, Georgia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richerso

Contributor
Reaction score
I recognize that this question might more appropriately fit in some other forum, but I am curious to get the Swamp Divers perspective on this (even recognizing that most of have probably never seen Lanier).

I keep reading this story about the drought in Georgia (Atlanta area) and how Lake Lanier is precipitously low, loss of drinking water, imminent catastrophe for Atlanta, etc. First the obvious, it is indeed an impending catastrophe for the folks in Atlanta, I pray that they get lots of rain soon. They definitely need it. Everyone needs drinking water.

I really want the perspective of the Swamp Divers because it would seem to me that the character of our Texas lakes is markedly different from Lake Lanier. I keep reading stories about how Lanier is about to dry up completely. Then the next sentence says the lake is only down 19 ft. ???? Does this sound odd to anyone besides me?

There are so many factors that need to be considered to figure out if the Lanier levels are in the same league as the Travis levels were earlier this year. A real quick look leads me to believe it is equivalent.

Lake Lanier max depth ~ 160 feet
Lake Travis max depth ~ 200 feet

Making a big assumption about bottom profiles (river beds - narrow at the bottom) I'd think that the 40 foot greater depth of Travis amounts to a small water volume so we can call them close to equivalent in depth vs water volume.

Lake Lanier surface area ~ 38,000 acres
Lake Travis surface area ~ 19,000 acres

This makes Lanier about twice the size of Travis, so a drop of 20 feet in Lanier is about equal to the 40 ft drop in Travis this past year. Add to that the fact that Lanier provides water to 3 million + in Atlanta, and I'd say yes - they should be pretty concerned about a 19 foot drop.

Okay. Thanks. That makes sense to me. I was really scratching my head over a 19ft drop in a lake. Now I understand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom