Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Flower Garden Banks

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Flower Garden Banks

Is there any "best" time of the year to dive the Flower Garden Banks?

Thanks,
    Terri

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Really depends on your needs and expectation.

Calmer seas and most reliable trips are july & august. Most spring trips are cancelled due to high seas. I assume that would be your overriding consideration being from MD.

Sea life and vis are usually good all the time. Hammerheads are in the spring. Whale sharks (rare) are in the summer. Coral spawn is august.

Boats don't try november thru january.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Divemaster
    Badge

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos

what do you mean as "best"

Quote Originally Posted by cdreamer View Post
    Is there any "best" time of the year to dive the Flower Garden Banks?

Thanks,
    Terri
    Depends on what you are looking for and what you mean by "best". Best as when most likely to see certain things, or as in most likely not to have the trip canceled?

If you want the chance to see migrating hammerheads the winter months up through March is best- but this is also a terrible time to go as most trips get cancelled. (I have tried to go twice now- only to have them cancleed) However I have heard that June -August is the best months for avoiding cancellations. But like any offshore diving there is no guarantee of anything.
    PADI Divemaster, Master Scuba Diver, Nitrox

Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say, 'What should be the reward for such sacrifices?' - Samuel Adams

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Thanks for your replies awap and buccaneer. Coming from Maryland, first and foremost, we're looking for best time weather wise, but mantas or a possible whaleshark would be icing on the cake. I've been wanting to get down there for some time, I've heard great things about the diving there. Looks like August it is. We're going to dive with the M/V Spree. Can't wait!!!

Thanks again,
    Terri

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by cdreamer View Post
    Thanks for your replies awap and buccaneer. Coming from Maryland, first and foremost, we're looking for best time weather wise, but mantas or a possible whaleshark would be icing on the cake. I've been wanting to get down there for some time, I've heard great things about the diving there. Looks like August it is. We're going to dive with the M/V Spree. Can't wait!!!

Thanks again,
    Terri

Unless an early hurricane hits, august has the calmest seas. July is next and is usually hurricane free. I believe the mantas are year around. I've probably seen them on about 20% of the trips I have done. August is best for whale sharks but july & september may work. One or two sightings a year is about it. Enjoy.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Yup, echo to the previous posts. Midsummer tends to be best to avoid canceled trips, but it's possible just about anytime. I've seen it so calm we dropped directly under the boat and surfaced the same way...no lines involved. I've also flapped on the mooring line like a flag in a current that would nearly take the mask off your face.
    However, you've heard right. The FG is one of the most unique and pristine diving destinations in the world, and I say that as a scientist. While you won't find any soft corals, it won't disappoint you when it comes to night dives, variety, and overall conditions.
    That's why I'm a volunteer for the FGBNMS. Have a ball!
    Out of the Blue-Inspirational Stories for Scuba Divers available through Amazon.com