Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: BP Supports GOM Marine research project

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Photos

BP Supports GOM Marine research project

Since this is in our back yard I figured I'd post it here.....if I can find a way to upload the photos I will but so far it looks like the company may have blocked them....

BP supports Gulf of Mexico marine research project

By Planet BP
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008

BP has donated $30,000 to Louisiana State University to purchase a digital camera system to support the SERPENT project, a global collaboration between the petroleum industry and academia that uses industrial remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) for research during periods of operational standby time.

The camera system, which is compatible with BP ROVs deployed at BP drilling and production sites, includes an eight-megapixel digital camera, strobe and control hardware and software.

According to Mark Benfield, an LSU Oceanography and Coastal Sciences professor and coordinator of the SERPENT project, the system enables more definitive identification of marine species in the Gulf of Mexico and provides high-quality images for scientific and outreach publications.

Editor's Note: The slide show above right features seven images taken by ROVs during the SERPENT project. Here are the descriptions for each image:

Slide 1: A manefish imaged by Oceaneering below Ocean Confidence. This is the first time an adult manefish has been documented in the Gulf of Mexico and this also appears to be the best footage of a manefish recorded in the ocean.

Slide 2: A swimming snail called a heteropod imaged below Thunder Horse PDQ by Saipem-America. These small organisms are predators that feed on other gelatinous organisms.

Slide 3: A jellyfish called Periphyllopsis braueri imaged by Oceaneering beneath the Discoverer Enterprise.

Slide 4: This jellyfish called Solmissus is one of the most common organisms we see. It was imaged by Saipem-America beneath the Thunderhorse PDQ.

Slide 5: A large colonial organism called a siphonophore imaged by Oceaneering beneath Ocean Confidence. This one is called Stephanomia and it was coiled up in a tight helix when first observed. The lights from the ROV caused it to unwind and swim off.

Slide 6: A viperfish (Chauliodus sloani) imaged by Oceaneering beneath Ocean Confidence. This small fish is only a few inches long but it's a fearsome predator with large teeth relative to its body.

Slide 7: A squid called Octopoteuthis imaged by Oceaneering beneath the Discoverer Enterprise.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Can you post the link to the article or web-page where it is found? Or is this posted on your intranet?

I'd really like to see the photos!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Photos
    The news was posted internally, and the pictures were a slide show that I can't download.

Sorry.

If I can find them somewhere else I'll upload them or post the link.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Photos

Here are the photos

Here are some of the photos from one of the LSU professors.

As I understand it the new camera equipment will be a big improvement over these.

Cheers!

The photos may not be in the order described in the initial post.
    Last edited by RaginCajun; May 2nd, 2008 at 11:14 AM.

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    $30,000 for an 8 megapixel camera? I could have purchased a gross of them with that money! Just teasing... I know it must be a custom job for use on the ROV, and include housing, controls, etc.
    Dr. Bill: I once had a 6-pack but now I have a full keg... well, maybe just a pony!
    Dr. Bill: Not THAT kind of doctor... but I'll take a look at it anyway!

Kelp forest marine life images, DVD's for sale, and archived "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper columns
    Single or Buddyless? Check out SingleDivers.com or PM me!