BP Supports GOM Marine research project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RaginCajun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Since this is in our back yard I figured I'd post it here.....if I can find a way to upload the photos I will but so far it looks like the company may have blocked them....

BP supports Gulf of Mexico marine research project

By Planet BP
Tuesday, April 15, 2008

BP has donated $30,000 to Louisiana State University to purchase a digital camera system to support the SERPENT project, a global collaboration between the petroleum industry and academia that uses industrial remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) for research during periods of operational standby time.

The camera system, which is compatible with BP ROVs deployed at BP drilling and production sites, includes an eight-megapixel digital camera, strobe and control hardware and software.

According to Mark Benfield, an LSU Oceanography and Coastal Sciences professor and coordinator of the SERPENT project, the system enables more definitive identification of marine species in the Gulf of Mexico and provides high-quality images for scientific and outreach publications.

Editor's Note: The slide show above right features seven images taken by ROVs during the SERPENT project. Here are the descriptions for each image:

Slide 1: A manefish imaged by Oceaneering below Ocean Confidence. This is the first time an adult manefish has been documented in the Gulf of Mexico and this also appears to be the best footage of a manefish recorded in the ocean.

Slide 2: A swimming snail called a heteropod imaged below Thunder Horse PDQ by Saipem-America. These small organisms are predators that feed on other gelatinous organisms.

Slide 3: A jellyfish called Periphyllopsis braueri imaged by Oceaneering beneath the Discoverer Enterprise.

Slide 4: This jellyfish called Solmissus is one of the most common organisms we see. It was imaged by Saipem-America beneath the Thunderhorse PDQ.

Slide 5: A large colonial organism called a siphonophore imaged by Oceaneering beneath Ocean Confidence. This one is called Stephanomia and it was coiled up in a tight helix when first observed. The lights from the ROV caused it to unwind and swim off.

Slide 6: A viperfish (Chauliodus sloani) imaged by Oceaneering beneath Ocean Confidence. This small fish is only a few inches long but it's a fearsome predator with large teeth relative to its body.

Slide 7: A squid called Octopoteuthis imaged by Oceaneering beneath the Discoverer Enterprise.

Can you post the link to the article or web-page where it is found? Or is this posted on your intranet?

I'd really like to see the photos!

The news was posted internally, and the pictures were a slide show that I can't download.

Sorry.

If I can find them somewhere else I'll upload them or post the link.

Here are some of the photos from one of the LSU professors.

As I understand it the new camera equipment will be a big improvement over these.

Cheers!

2457826777_42c42a0d23.jpg

2457827319_5fb0e1d3f7.jpg

2457828049_7ba272dfe8.jpg

2457828469_34fcb9026c.jpg

2457829329_1c01fa3df4.jpg

2457829719_1ea2e3685e.jpg

2458657956_925f619f0f.jpg

The photos may not be in the order described in the initial post.

$30,000 for an 8 megapixel camera? I could have purchased a gross of them with that money! Just teasing... I know it must be a custom job for use on the ROV, and include housing, controls, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom