UTMB Hyperbaric Facility Goes Bye-Bye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What scares me when I read this article is how unknowledgeble I am with diving medicine facilities. As a diver I think we should all know where facilities like this are located. .. but I don't. :doctor:

What a shame, it was a very nice facility. That's where I took my O2 provider course and got a ride in the chamber.

cmay once bubbled...
Just to let everyone know, the UTMB hyperbaric faciliy in Galveston has been axed due to budget cuts. It really is a shame to see it go. It was a very nice facility, not to mention, if you got bent offshore this was usually where you went.

I really don't understand this at all. With all the diving that goes on in and around Galveston, a hyperbaric chamber is essential. I wonder what the divers at Moody Gardens think of this?

It is pretty sad that the local chambers are closing, I found out recently that there is a deactivated chamber here in Beaumont that can accomodate divers; here's the kicker, the hospital that it is located in just built a completely new chamber facility instead of reactivating the old one - apparently it's a much smaller chamber for hyperbaric therapy. The $ that they spent on building a new one could have reactivated the old one (which by all accounts is in great condition) with $ to spare to fund its operation. Go figure.

Does anyone know where the nearest (Houston/Beaumont) full facility is at? I read the list posted in this thread and most of the chambers seem to be "therapy" chambers...

Chris....I *think* there's a chamber at Herman Hospital in Houston that accepts divers but it take an act of God to get into it. More like....if you aren't twitching or paralyzed already and showing signs of a neurological hit, they want to hold you in emergancy until they rule out everything else.

It would probably be easier to go to Coz and get in one of their 3 chambers on the island!

ScubaTexan once bubbled...

I really don't understand this at all. With all the diving that goes on in and around Galveston, a hyperbaric chamber is essential. I wonder what the divers at Moody Gardens think of this?

I think there was a "behind the scenes" story. From what I understand, the doctor that was the largest supporter of the facility died last year. In addition, the technical director left for another job. This left the chamber without many strong supporters within UTMB. Then came Gov. Perry's request for deep budget cuts.

Dee once bubbled...
Chris....I *think* there's a chamber at Herman Hospital in Houston that accepts divers but it take an act of God to get into it. More like....if you aren't twitching or paralyzed already and showing signs of a neurological hit, they want to hold you in emergancy until they rule out everything else.

It would probably be easier to go to Coz and get in one of their 3 chambers on the island!

Hopefully this will change now. Especially given the number of divers that get bent on the Flower Gardens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom