Dive Spots near Nacogdoches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Anyone know of any dive (or diveable) spots near Nacogdoches or Lufkin?

The only two that I know of even remotely close to this area are Athens and CSSP. I know a new diver in that area that wants to get some more time in the water, and I volunteered to dive with them, but Athens and CSSP are both a pretty good distance for me to go just for a day.

I briefly considered Rayburn or Toledo, but thought that may be a bit much for someone with little experience.

At the moment, Athens is the strongest contender.

Any help would be great.

How about Blue Lagoon, just outside Huntsville?

Good idea, I had forgotten about that one. Might be a possibility...

Any others?

Minuses: lacks any dive community whatsoever that I'm aware of. No well-defined sites. Murky water.

Pluses: cheap (free) parking for shore entry.

I've done research in the past, and decided to give Livingston a miss (no fill stations anymore), but if you decide to hit the lake, would you send me a PM? I'm a bit familiar with the area, and have access to a lake house there, too.

jeff

Will do Jeff.

Thanks for the answer. If anything develops I will let you know.

I went to SFA and graduated in 92. That's where I got certified.

The only places they dive are Athens, Blue Lagoon, and Travis.

We've yet to go back to visit the power plant lake where Brenda was checked out, but the vis was great when we were there. There's only one access point in a shallow cove, so a boat would be the real way to access the lake. It's north of Nacogdoches about 1-1/2 hours, west of Marshal on I-10(I-20....oops, been in Houston too long, thanks Tom! ) :) We'll probably make a trip up there one day later this spring and I'll give you a report. The official name of the lake excapes me right now but it's Henry Perky Power Plants res.

tony

ps. and the only place I know of to get fills would be in Longview about 30 mins west, so take several tanks

pss. found it, Brady Branch.... http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/infish/lakes/brandy/lake_id.htm

Well hot damn, ScubaBoard has everything, even a post about my little piss-ant town Nacagdoches :D . It's been like 4 or 5 months since this thread has been active, so I was wondering what happened with the dive site search. I would love to find a dive site around here other than the usual suspects. Cave Diver??

Also, I might go dive Rayburn this weekend (I heard something about an old town and cemetary). Any hot tips??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom