Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zinc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Texas Dive Condition Reports :D

Howdy. The purpose of this thread is to chronicle reports detailing dive conditions & experiences around Texas. If you have been scuba diving in Texas recently, you are welcome to post a report of your experience including the dive conditions: date, location, temperature, visibility, & comments. Your participation is encouraged and the sharing of this information will be useful to other divers either locally, or those traveling to a new Texas dive spot.

NOTE: This thread is for Dive Condition Reports Only. In the interest of maintaining a more concise collection of dive info for the benefit of all, posts are restricted to the original diver's reports only. Responses and posts other than reports are not allowed.:no: Lengthy trip reports and posts requiring additional divers commentary are better suited for a thread of their own. This is not a thread to log your dives, but rather to share diving conditions and things to see, or not, as the case may be. Share your dive experience. Where did you go underwater, & what did you encounter there? Thanks for obliging and contributing!

All Dive Condition Reports should include the following information:

Date:
Visibility: (ex. at various depths)
Comments: (Useful info for others, things to see, avoid, etc. Where did you go underwater & what did you see?)

You can also attach pics, or reference links subject to Scubaboard TOS of course

Last edited:
11/23/2008
Lake Travis, Windy Point Park
68* water temp to 60 feet
Viz: 5-10' above 50', 2-5' below 50' to at least 60'

Great sticky idea...

CSSP 11/23/08
Water Temp: 61
Vis: 15' clear, 20' hazy outline.
Park: Not crowded, plenty of space.
Comments: Conducted a Rescue Class so didn't spend alot of time U/W. Could see the platforms from the surface.

Date: 11/26/2009
Water Temp: surface to 111ffw 67f (lake is approx. 25ft. low)
Visibility: 8 to 15 feet, nice at depth
Comments: saw several variety of fish,, had dive area to myself

CSSP today. 54 degrees and 20-30 ft viz. Saw a total of 5 divers at park; the other 3 were on the other side of the lake so it was quiet. If you can deal with the cold it's a great time to dive!

Dove Lake Travis on Friday12/5/08 at Mansfield Park Dive area. Water temp was 64 on the surface and 62at 80 feet. Vis was 6-8 feet depending on where you were. Best vis was near the dam.

At Windy Point all weekend

~63 down to 60 ... didn't drop below that (OW classes)
viz ~5ft ... sometimes opened up a bit more

viz did not change with depth as far as i could tell

Dove Monday - I was the only one there. Lake is very low - 25'+ down. It's a pretty good hike from the stairs to the water (and worse - back afterwards).

Surface temp was ~63 deg, but bottom temp was showing as 60 deg at the coldest on my computers. Vis was cloudy at the surface to about 15-20' (wind was stirring things up at the surface). From 20-70' vis was pretty good for the lake - 15' with patches better and worse. From there on down it got progressively worse - down to 1' and then the riverbed cleared up slightly at 151' maximum depth. Second dive I stayed shallow as it wasn't worth going through the muck.

-Tom

The pond is some 4ft. low according to Robert the owner.
Water temp at 36ffw was 52f.
Vis at spots 20ft..

December 20, 2008
Mansfield, Lake Travis
Air Temp mid 70's, warm & overcast
Water Temp: 59f @ 105'
Visibility: avg 5 foot

Nice 59 minute dive along grotto's & down to the Jungle Gym. Visibility is becoming more uniform as temps in the water column are doing the same. Max depth 105' so not sure what's happening at the bottom. Vis at Jungle Gym also 5 feet making visual navigation doable, but barely.
A nice day for diving in Texas :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom