Mini trip report - Gulf rig dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyklon_300

Contributor
Reaction score
Wrongkey, our friend Bill G, and I did a new boat shakedown cruise and rig dive Sat.

Departed Matagorda Harbor with intentions to dive rig A591 (38 miles out), but due to heavier (3-6') than predicted seas (2-3') we revised our plan and selected a closer-in, smaller rig site at 19 miles.

Dive conditions were good at the beginning of the dive in 75' of water...40-50' vis with a muck layer and minor thermocline (75F) at 60'. An abundance of fish including a very large school of Atlantic spadefish, sheepshead, barracuda, triggerfish, cobia, snapper, blennies, damselfish, etc. etc...quite a bit of life for such a small structure. A slight current was detectable throughout the dive, but nothing unmanageable.

Altho vis deteriorated to ~20' towards the end of the dive, we spent the the last portion of our gas supply inspecting the little critters tucked in amonst the barnacles and didn't notice it much.

We attempted to dive another rig at 24 miles, but the vis was junk so we headed back.

Altho we didn't make to blue water, the boat performed well and the dive was a fun way to spend celebrating Wrongkey's B-day...

Sounds good, I didnt know you could have 40-50 vis at only 19
miles out, thats great. If you ever need any extra help testing the boat out let me know.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom