Lake Amistad, Del Rio, Park Chalk Bluff, Uvalde

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAGELLAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey everyone,
I'm going to stay in Uvalde for a week in September at a place called Park Chalk Bluff. The have, cabins and campsites, etc along the Nueces river, very nice. We've been going there for years, and we usually just snorkel there but this year I'm going to dive it. Visibility is about 40 ft or so, but it's only about 20 ft deep at best. It's very clean though, and full of fish, snakes, turltes, and large boulders etc.
Anyway more to the point, I'm trying to find a nearby shop to rent/fill tanks, and the closest I've been able to find is in Del Rio for a place called Lake Amistad. So, I was wondering would that lake be worth diving? It would be about a hour and half ride to get the tanks filled, so I thought maybe I'd do a dive there get a refill and head back to camp for an afternoon, or even better, a night dive.
So, does anybody have any ideas on a closer place to fill tanks, or has anyone ever been to Lake Amistad?:banging:

Here's a link to some pictures of Park Chalk Bluff
http://www.scubaadventurer.com/chalk_bluff_pictures.htm

:bandito:

double125's is the one you need to talk to he lives in del rio .I Have family in uvalde and go there often . But I always take my own tanks when I go and just fill them when I get home. Have you been diving in nueces lake in camp wood ? it is shallow 20-25 max but very clear.they have a dam on the nueces river there.
Joens

I talked to my LDS. Looks like I'll just rent about 10 tanks for the trip. I'd like to hear more about Nueces lake, is it near Uvalde? I really like the river for the clarity and abundance of fish, plants, etc. Last time I was there I happened to get a picutre of a couple about to dive, don't know who they are or anything. Maybe someone will recognize themselves, that would be cool.:D

Well, nevermind. I need to find some way to resample the pictures at some smaller file size.

nueces lake is about 40 miles nw of uvalde it is right in the town of camp wood . very clear, lots of fish .
Joens

Determination, it'll get almost anywhere. I resampled the picture to fit. I've got a few more pictures I'd like to show, but I've noticed some people post their pictures on other sites and just add a link to the post. Not sure how to do that. Anyway this couple was at Park Chalk Bluff the day we left.

Ok, I'll try again.

Is the lake privately owned, is there any kind of entrance fee etc.? Got another pic of Park Chalk Bluff too.:D

Hope I'm not tying up too much space. This is just a beautiful place. And a really great dive spot. the only drawback is it's pretty shallow, only about 15-20ft.:tease:

entrance to nueces lake is through a private campground .seems to me it costs 3 or 4 dollars a day per person if you are not staying over night .the side of the lake near the campground has a lot of weeds if you enter and go to the other side it is deeper and no weeds then go upstream and there are huge boulders under water many large catfish. there are some small boats on the lake .last time I was there I found an anchor.I like going there it is a nice easy dive .
Joens

Same thing with Park Chalk Bluff. I alway stay the night, so I'm not sure, but I think it's about 5 bucks or so if you just want entry for the day. Great place to go though. :thumb: We'll drive over to the lake and check it out. Looks like on the map, that it's only a few minutes away from where were staying. Here's some more links if anyone is interested in Park Chalk Bluff, I'd highly reccomend it.

http://www.texasguides.com/parkchalk.html

http://www.chalkbluff.com/

:banana:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom