Kayak diving near Corpus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asemili

Reaction score
I've been loosely considering trying Kayak diving for something different. I've been sticking to the local lakes up near San Antonio diving off my bass boat, but there's no way I'm taking that boat into salt, not even in the bays. I'm trying to figure out a way to give salt a try without having to shell out the bucks for a rig dive. I figured a kayak might be a good start, but the surf out there might be too rough, and even then, where would be a good divable spot? A buddy of mine suggested I try Big Shell which is supposed to be in the 50' range offshore. I found some references to some different popular kayak fishing spots in the bays and figured they might be good to try diving but I need more info about diving the Corpus area in general. I've heard the jetties are the most popular shore dives if you could call them that. I'm not worried about the visibility. I've been dealing with Canyon Lake/Northpark and some of the deeper holes in the middle of the lake for the last year, so 7-9' visibility is the best I'm used to with it dropping off to less then a foot sometimes.

Just looking for advice. Unless someone with a boat capable of getting to the rigs wants to take me out there for gas and beer, or a trip bass fishing with me in my boat, this is where I'm at.

There is another guy on this board who has a boat and lives in Houston, he wants to go out for some photos and stuff and i think he said he would like to try some southern stuff. I was think about heading out of Port Mansfield. I am going to try to set up a trip soon.

Born and raised in that city and now reside in Houston. The jetties are pretty much all you have to look at w/o a boat. The bottom of the ship channel may have some salvage to offer of stuff that gets lost overboard, some spearfishing. In my opinion is a really great place to load up on fishing tackle. Make sure you take your dive knife!

I have never dove off the beach, but I am familiar w/ Big and Little Shell. 4-wheel drive access only. The kayak is something I have thought of myself as no power boats are allowed to launch from the seashore. You are limited to what you can dive though. Check-out 7 1/2 fathom reef. That is one I plan to hit next summer.

Good Luck!
Wethead

I've found out that there's quite a few kayak fishing trails back in the bays that are great for fishing out red's. I've also found that these are in areas near common wade fishing spots. Some of the reports I've read indicate reefs. What kind of reef could possibily exist in these areas?

Also, what's 7 1/2 fathom reef? :) Never heard of it!

I guess the main thing is just getting salty. I can 4x4 out to Big Shell but would prefer not to. I've worn out far too many truck's doing 4x4 stuff. Cool suggestion to run the ship channel. Might be a bit risky, but could be fun!

The trip to big shell is really fairly mild. 4WD is necessary because of the occasional soft spot marked by stuck 2WDs. The drive is not al all rugged.

I've never tried shore diving at Corpus but I have launched in the surf (normally calm) & sailed a hobie to the rigs. Closest rigs are around a mile so you might be able to paddle it. I recall one just south of Fish pass on mustang that was quite close. Fish Pass also has a jetty (channel is filled in so tide not a problem) that should be OK this time of year if the fishermen are not all over it. Try a weekday early PM. I've looked at the jetty at Port A many times but never tried it because of bad vis and too many fishermen. You need to watch the tide at Port A.

Oh yeah. I believe reefs in the bay are larger deposits of oysters and shells. But let me know what you find. Stone crabs or even blue claw would be great.

Asemili,

Looks like you live in the San Antonio area. If it is just a matter of diving some salt water, and low vis is not a concern, Offatt's Bayou at Galveston could be a possibility. It is a large body of water on the bay side of the island and as such is almost always protected. Easy to get to. Numerous places to enter. Easiest is right on 61st St.

I-10 to 45 South all the way into Galveston. Go right on 61st. You'll see public parking, dock and boat ramp right there. English Bayou is right across the street. Take some strong BBQ tongs or some crab tongs. Might get you a good mess of blue and stone crab claws. Water conditions usually calm, vis 2-10 feet, depth to 30 feet. A small boat is OK. Weekdays much better. September is the best month of the year to go to Galveston. Early October next. If you get down this way touch bases with some of the swampers in this area. Galveston ain't the best but it'll do. PS: off shore diving out of Galveston is very problematic.

Thank you very much for those easy directions! I've never done any crabbing... that could be a good excuse. Since I'm up in the Galveston area from time to time it would make sense. I'll plan on doing it! If you live up there and want to buddy up lemme know. I might be checking the board for a buddy on that one. Won't be using a power boat so it'll have to either be Kayak or shore.

Asemili,

That's a good idea. I lived on the island for 12 years. (Far west end right on a canal on the bay side.) Did a lot of off shore fishing and spearfishing through San Luis Pass. Moved off the island and now live about two miles from Twin Lakes (Manvel)

So when you head this way check the board under the
Texas Swampers and see what's going on. We'll probably be diving in the Lake for another month or so. Offatt's Bayou will stay warmer a little longer. If you came in on I-10 and took Beltway 8 south around to 288 you would be about 10 minutes from Twin Lakes. You could always check it out, meet some interesting people and still go on to Galveston or Freeport or Lake Jackson or Surfside. They are all around Twin Lakes.

Back
Top Bottom