TrashFest 2011 - Oct 1st - Official Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vanessar

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Mark your calendars! TrashFest will be October 1st this year!
04.gif

Come take part in the oldest underwater clean up event in the country, enjoy a fun day of diving in New Braunfels, Texas and an after-party BBQ where all team members are eligible to win great door prizes. Last year's participants took home nearly $39,000 in trips, dive equipment, and other awesome stuff!

All the low-down can be found at the TrashFest website.

Pre-registration starts June 20th. Get your team together today!

Hope to see all of you there!​

Thanks to all the teams that pre-registered! Looks like we will have a record-breaking turnout!

Due to the overwhelming response, we will NOT be registering teams the day of the event. We will accept individual registrations that will be used to fill teams with less than 8 members. The registration fee for each individual will be $15.

Team captains, don't forget to have each of your team members sign the Trashfest Waiver. Please make sure you print the Rules and Regulations on the back of the waiver. Also, be sure to remind all divers to bring their c-cards!

Check-in and registration will be from 8am to 10am. Diving in assigned river sections will start at 10am and then the diving in any river will start at Noon. This year we will not assign anyone to the Last Take Out, but it will be open to all participants starting at Noon. Remember all trash is DUE at weigh in at 3pm.

See you next weekend!

Joanne Vest and Vanessa Gray
Co-Chairs
TrashFest 2011

First timer at trashfest... Any suggestions on making this a smooth trip? Any specialty gear/bags/etc? Thanks!

Tips... First of all remember this is a FUN event where we gather to volunteer our efforts to benefit the environment. It may be crowded, it may be hot, it may be tiring, but remember we are all just working for a good cause. With a positive attitude we can have a great time!

For the diving, I recommend over weighting. I usually add 4 to 6 pounds more than I would use in other fresh water lakes. The current pulls you up and down and you want to be able to stay in one place. The water is a refreshing 72 degrees so wear enough thermal protection although you'll stay warmer on a "working" dive than if you were just drifting down. Wear hood and gloves, be careful with sharp objects. If you have a choice, I'd use my older gear and keep everything clipped off well.

We'll have some onion sacks provided by the Parks Dept. which are good for in the river. But bring large trash bags to consolidate the trash in on land. Those on land duty have an important job of keeping the divers working, monitoring their safety, and watching the time.

Thanks! Looking forward to the event.

Thanks to everyone who took part in TrashFest 2011!

TrashFest 2011 set a record for participation with 604 participants on 80 teams! Plus 4,718 pounds of trash was collected, in addition to 2,185 cups, cans, and bottles, and 126 shoes and sunglasses. It was another fantastic year!

Congratulations to our "Super Scooper" winners!

Aggregate Weight
1st place / Dive West #1
2nd place / Dive Buddy Team #1
3rd place / CHUM's Spanking Trash

Cans, Bottles, Cups
1st place / Texas Mud Ducks
2nd place / Sugarland Scuba Eelite
3rd place / Boondoggle Divers

Shoes and Sunglasses
1st place / ShoeKrewe
2nd place / Sugarland Scuba Eelite
3rd place / Boondoggle Divers

Most Unusual Item (Adult)
1st place / Al Curry
2nd place / Courtney Vogel
3rd place / Robert Blount

Most Unusual Item (Youth)
1st place / Krystal Moore
2nd place / Zachary Dykhuizen
3rd place / Jacob Chapman

We'd like to thank all the volunteers who helped out at registration, weigh-in, and the BBQ. As well as our generous 2011 Sponsors who gave over $38,000 worth of door prizes, cash, and in kind donations.

We'll be posting pictures soon in the 2011 Photo Gallery. If you have pics that you'd like to have included, please email them to chairman@trashfest.net and we'll do our best to include as many as we can!

Joanne Vest and Vanessa Gray
Co-Chairs
TrashFest 2011

As an occasional scuba diver, and a very frequent toober on the central Texas waterways, THANK YOU to all who were involved. You are helping our rivers stay clean and healthy, and it makes a great difference!

If I ever get my own equipment (I own nothing) I will definitely get involved in this event.

Back
Top Bottom