Lionfish caught off Corpus Christi, TX Packery Channel Jetties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They've been monitored at the offshore Texas reefs for a while.

I'm curious to see if they can adapt to winter temps, or they'll croak or migrate offshore like the rest of the tropicals.

The Harte Institute would probably be the folks to inquire with.
Gulf of Mexico Studies

Yep, they've been at the Flower Gardens for a while now. No big surprise to see them at the coast, unfortunately.

If you feel like trekking to Galveston this weekend (or Houston Thurs night), REEF is putting on a Lionfish Seminar. It looks like they're taking up permanent resident status. We might as well learn as much as we can about them.

Yep, they've been at the Flower Gardens for a while now. No big surprise to see them at the coast, unfortunately.

If you feel like trekking to Galveston this weekend (or Houston Thurs night), REEF is putting on a Lionfish Seminar. It looks like they're taking up permanent resident status. We might as well learn as much as we can about them.

Thanks guys. I knew they were offshore.

I am mainly wondering how often shore divers are seeing them along jetties.

if anybody sees ip them along shore I would be interested. Thanks.

About 2 years ago, a friend killed a juvenile lionfish at a rig, 20 miles from Port Aransas.

My friend photographed a Lionfish on the Texas Clipper (17 miles off of South Padre Island) a month or two back and I photographed one (below) at the Port Mansfield Liberty Ships (12 miles off of SPI) a few weeks ago. I scuba/free dive the South Padre Island jetties as often as I can and while I haven't seen one yet I am expecting to anytime now.

lionfish_portmansfield.jpg

My friend photographed a Lionfish on the Texas Clipper (17 miles off of South Padre Island) a month or two back and I photographed one (below) at the Port Mansfield Liberty Ships (12 miles off of SPI) a few weeks ago. I scuba/free dive the South Padre Island jetties as often as I can and while I haven't seen one yet I am expecting to anytime now.

Nice pic. Yes i expect them on the jetties any time, just surprised I haven't seen them yet also.

I dove the Texas Clipper yesterday and saw two large Lionfish moving freely around the structure (56F-61F water temp). The highest count I've personally been present for is 17 Lionfish observed during a dive on the Clipper. They're here to stay... I still haven't run into any on the jetties, but I have no doubt they are out there.

It took a while but here is the answer to my question:
News Release- Sadly, Lionfish have invaded Texas nearshore waters in a big way. At least 6 juvenile invasive Lionfish were documented at Packery Channel Jetties, in Corpus Christi, Texas on, August 1, 2017, during a Transformation Scuba Explorers Association meeting. See attached video. Select HD for best viewing. Will these juveniles survive the winter and thrive? Probably. Stay tuned for the first ever Corpus Christi Lionfish Derby, sponsored by Mark McNamara's Transformation Scuba! Like, Comment, and Share to spread the word.
https://youtu.be/2nzflOwjhFg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom