Proposed Ship Reef off Galveston Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chairmanTARAC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The Texas Parks and Wildlife will hold public hearings on 5 proposed reefing projects. One of which will be a proposed ship reef off galveston near High Island Block HI 424. 3 meetings Port Arthur Jan 21, Galveston at Texas A&M, Jan 22, and Corpus Christi Jan 23. Those individuals who have wanted a ship sunk for a dive site off Galveston, Now is your chance to be heard. The other 4 sites proposed are mainly for close to shore habitat.

This is great, I will make the Galveston meeting.

Randy Smith

I wish this would happen. I made a couple of trips to Gulf Shores Al. last year and with the sinking of the LULU and another in the works, they are getting a lot of divers from our area down there. Considering Galvestion is 4-5 hours closer I would be bringing a group down at least twice a year.

Sooner wink, the only way this happens is there is enough public interest in the project. This proposal is to obtain about 2 million from the BP Gulf restoration funds Obviously you can't make the meetings but you can comment Til 2/19/14 on NOAA Gulf Spill Restoration Get everyone in your group to comment. I know Capt Randy will do his part Thanks Capt

I went to the Galveston meeting and only saw 1 other diver (chairman TARAC) that I knew although there might have been been more in the approximately 70 people in attendance. The 5 projects presented for Texas are all recreational use. Repairs to Sea Rim and Galveston Island state parks, 2 cement pyramid fishing reefs and for divers the big one would be a 200+ foot long wreck located 67 miles out of Galveston in 135' of water.
The catch on the Wreck is that it will be the hardest to accomplish, they would need to find a ship clean it and sink it upright. If this looks like it would be too hard they will revert to another fishing reef further south.

If we want a signature wtreck on the upper Texas coast we need to get as many people as possible to send in comment cards to let the trustees know that the effert would be worth it.

I sent in my comments. Encourage all other divers to do so as well. It is easy to go to the website and send a comment. If we want more diving resources the least we can do is this.

Back
Top Bottom