Two WWII dummy bombs found at Lake Texoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darkforeboding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Here is a link to a news article about two dummy bombs, possibly from WWII being found at Lake Texoma near a marina by Roosevelt Bridge. The article states that a bomb squad from Oklahoma has checked them to be sure they were not a danger. Supposition is that they were dropped by trainees from the former Perrin AFB or another area base.

Two World War II-Era Bombs Found At Lake Texoma - KTEN.com - No One Gets You Closer

I'm not suprised. My uncle used to tell me that the pilots training at Perrin ca.WWII used to buzz him while he drove the tractor in the fields next to the Red River near that same area.

DFB

My Dad was stationed at Camp Howze, just North of Gainesville, TX (and just upstream of Lake Texoma) during World War II. He said they captured Oklahoma so many times, by crossing the Red River, that he lost count. This was practice for crossing the Rhine River. Doesn't surprise me that there might be more similar ordinance all up and down the Red River and the Lake.

He said they captured Oklahoma so many times, by crossing the Red River, that he lost count.

Thank the Good Lord they had the sense to throw it (Oklahoma) back.

There are a lot of places like that spread across Texas. In Area 1 at Camp Swift (all of present day Camp Swift was the impact range from WWII, but they really liked Area 1), the idiot in front of me kicked an unexploded 75mm shell. By the grace of God it didn't go off.

The most spectacular example of disposal of ordinance was at Graffenwier. They drained a lake and found sh#t from the Franco Prussian war through the 70's. Called in a full barrage of 8" artillery for "disposal".

My Dad was stationed at Camp Howze, just North of Gainesville, TX (and just upstream of Lake Texoma) during World War II. He said they captured Oklahoma so many times, by crossing the Red River, that he lost count. This was practice for crossing the Rhine River. Doesn't surprise me that there might be more similar ordinance all up and down the Red River and the Lake.

Yeah, I know the area extremely well! I was raised in Denison at the east end of the lake and spent my life fishing, swimming, skiing, and finally scuba diving in the lake. It doesn't suprise me that the items were found in the area up from the state park. The Wa****a arm of the lake brings tons of silt and I never knew anyone that dived there. Maybe for spearfishing catfish.

DFB

---------- Post added February 16th, 2014 at 09:13 AM ----------

There are a lot of places like that spread across Texas. In Area 1 at Camp Swift (all of present day Camp Swift was the impact range from WWII, but they really liked Area 1), the idiot in front of me kicked an unexploded 75mm shell. By the grace of God it didn't go off.

The most spectacular example of disposal of ordinance was at Graffenwier. They drained a lake and found sh#t from the Franco Prussian war through the 70's. Called in a full barrage of 8" artillery for "disposal".

Fort Sill, Oklahoma is still that way. Every now and then you hear about someone finding artillery shells that went off target.

DFB

Those bombs at Texoma are there to keep Yankee divers out of the lake. We keep live ones up here at Lake Pat Mayse for the same reason and so far it seems to work pretty well. ;-)

Thank the Good Lord they had the sense to throw it (Oklahoma) back.

Wookie, you do know why texxass has never fallen off into the Gulf??......:)

Wookie never answered diver 85.........So .... Well .. The answer has to be because of the attraction to our great friends in states to the North, West and East..... At least the ones we border that is :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom