Corpus Christi Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbdiver88

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How is the diving in the Corpus area? Are there any shore dive spots? Also how far offshore are the offshore sites?

Thanks

I have only dove offshore. We typically go out 17-23 miles to a rig platform. Mostly for spear fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Crap-A-Talk

wow, nice vid! I've dove the packery channel jetties a few times, both times were a silt ridden nightmare, dodging fishing lines and boats while seeing nothing like what was in the vid. Wonder what was different when they dove it?

There's a guy that loads his scuba gear on a kayak and launches it right off the
beach of Mustang Island State park. He says it takes about 20 minutes to
paddle out to a small rig. (I call it that but I'm not sure what it's purpose is.)
If I read his videos correctly there's a 2nd rig he's visited occasionally off the
same beach. (I'm not sure of the distance on this one.) He uses a website that
forecasts wave height for surfers to help in avoiding rough seas. Lots of fish
hang around the rigs. He even videoed a goliath grouper once. I've never done
this dive I just follow him on youtube.com.

[video=youtube;-rlQ3fCqVy8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rlQ3fCqVy8&list=PLwt7IyfFe73bcfCUmrUYQTQ_p3mHxx56L &feature=share&index=9[/video]

He's published a series of videos on his visits. I collected a list here:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwt7IyfFe73bcfCUmrUYQTQ_p3mHxx56L&f eature=mh_lolz[/video]

It looks like he started going there to fish with a rod. Later he did some free
diving and spear fishing. Eventually he learned scuba dive and dove it.
There's detailed information on the site spread as comments in the videos.

It looks like a fun dive if you have a kayak big enough for all your equipment.

very interesting - ought to contact him sometime, maybe he'd be interested in showing the sights personally to some of us here.

very interesting - ought to contact him sometime, maybe he'd be interested in showing the sights personally to some of us here.

I think it's pretty easy to find these rigs. I've studied his videos closely. (There's only 30-40
minutes of video after all.) They show glimpses of the rig when he's clearly still standing on
the park's beach. And there are some shots while he's at the rig you can see they're not
that far from the beach. Mustang Island State Park isn't that big. They're easy to see from
the beach. I think it's a matter of driving up and down the beach and you'd find them in no
time.

My last duty station was Kingsville. I really wish I'd seen this thead while I was there. I still own a house down that way, maybe if I end up in San Antonio later this year I'll have an excuse to come down and dive with you guys!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom