Southwest to begin International Flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driftwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Southwest Airline plans to begin international flights from Austin to Cancun beginning Nov 2. Looks like the rt will run about $350 for a direct flight. In addition, they seem to be seeking approval to fly to Cabo San Lucas from Austin. San Antonio is also on the list of scheduled international flights but they are waiting for approval.

I have been waiting a long time for this move.

SWA used to be the cheap alternative to full service airlines, but no more. Free bags, yes - but lots of limitations, and their fares aren't very competitive.

Also big news in the Houston area here is SWA is upgrading their HOU terminal for international flights as well. I can't remember the timeline right off the top of my head, but I'm thinking they are pushing for mid 2015.

If they don't like their on-time schedule into and out of Key West (they leave here next week) they're gonna hate Mexico....

Assume this is somehow linked to their acquisition of AirTran which had some international routes (Mexico, Aruba, Bahamas, Bermuda, etc.)

Their "wanna get away" (read: cheapest) fare to Cabo is only a couple hundred less per person than I paid to fly AA in First/Business...no thanks.

Wait in a quiet lounge with free drinks and food for the 4hr layover or sit at a gate in the terminal? That's an easy decision IMO.

Their "wanna get away" (read: cheapest) fare to Cabo is only a couple hundred less per person than I paid to fly AA in First/Business...no thanks.

Wait in a quiet lounge with free drinks and food for the 4hr layover or sit at a gate in the terminal? That's an easy decision IMO.

It's an easy decision for me, too. I can buy a lot of drinks and good food in Cabo for a couple hundred bucks.

It's an easy decision for me, too. I can buy a lot of drinks and good food in Cabo for a couple hundred bucks.
Have you ever flown FC? Or sit in an airport for 4 hours?

SWA does have some attractions, sometimes cheaper fares, free luggage (which you also get with FC), but there are also shortcomings. Full service airlines cooperate with each other in ways that benefit passengers in distress, lost luggage, etc. - and one time escaping Cozumel in advance of a Cat-5 hurricane, I left on a plane that was especially flown in empty to pickup escapees. There are pros and cons, but usually SWA has higher fares for trips I check.

Personally, I will take a nonstop flight of less than 3hrs in sardine class over a comfortable seat with connections. Going to Cabo, SWA doesn't make much sense at over 9hrs. Cancun on the other hand...

Checking flights in early November AUS to CUN rt, American is running $475+ and over 7hrs, United runs $700 and just under 7hrs. From my seat, SWA at $350 and 3hrs, looks like a bargain in both time and money.

---------- Post added May 22nd, 2014 at 09:41 PM ----------

Assume this is somehow linked to their acquisition of AirTran which had some international routes (Mexico, Aruba, Bahamas, Bermuda, etc.)

Southwest looks at international routes as an area where it can rapidly grow and increase market share. The Airtran deal got their foot in the door and now they are replacing the Airtran flights with SWA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom