Sinking of the M/V Kinta at the Corpus Christi Nearshore Reef Site.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cyprian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
https://www.facebook.com/TexasParks...7916344926436/785557584828975/?type=1&fref=nf

Texas Parks and Wildlife Artificial Reef Program

"Walter Marine has been awarded the contract for the sinking of the M/V Kinta at the Corpus Christi Nearshore Reef Site. The M/V Kinta is 155 feet long. It was built in Japan in 1976 and Walter Marine has the ship 80% prepared as an artificial reef. All wood, insulation, wiring, and hydrocarbons have been removed. Congratulations to Walter Marine and the fishers of Corpus Christi / Port Aransas."

So my question is, for those familiar with the area: What sort of visibility are we talking about for the Corpus Christi Nearshore Reef Site? ChairmanTARAC? Reefhound? Sea_Ledford? Please chime in, fellas. :)

If it's anything like the Freeport reef site, the currents howl and the water boils, and you can see your hand on a good day...

It seems a shame that it will be a "near shore" reef and I suspect conditions would be poor for diving. Near Corpus even the Liberty Ship reef is only 18 miles out. Don't know if any one has tried to dive it but I think that would be too close for good conditions barring an exceptional day.

It seems a shame that it will be a "near shore" reef and I suspect conditions would be poor for diving. Near Corpus even the Liberty Ship reef is only 18 miles out. Don't know if any one has tried to dive it but I think that would be too close for good conditions barring an exceptional day.

During late summer it will often clear up all the way to the beach, sometimes for weeks at a time. The rest of the time...:shakehead:

I dove the site when we were doing site inspections prior to picking the reef location about three years ago. It was awesome down to about 40', then it was a night dive. Without a light. The current was strong enough that with scooters we managed to cover about 200 yards in an hour. But we were stopping every 3 minutes for a bottom sample grab, so we were probably moving 50 feet forward, and drifting 45 feet back every time. Hard to tell when you can't see anything, and there is nothing on the bottom to see if you are moving anyway.

We did much better once we changed the transect direction!

Here is a video from the site in May:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...344926436&type=3&video_source=pages_video_set

A little better than what I saw the first time.

Keep in mind this site was set up for fishing, not diving. The fishermen like the structure within state waters (9 NM) so they can fish for Red Snapper year round. The divers want the structure way out there so the visibility is good (but not too far, 'cause then it's too hard to get to. And too deep. Or not deep enough)... diver's; can't live with 'em... pass the peanuts.

Bonus points to anyone that gets that reference :)

-Chris

Today's the day. If all goes well, the Kinta S will be on the bottom within an hour.

She went down in 77 feet of water wheel house at 42. Great Job Sea Ledford, Dale Shively and Brooke Shipley-Lozano. Thanks Walter Marine and The SEA Assoctiation. Waiting for sea ledfords post of his inspection and check out dive Thanks for a job well done Next stop Offshore Galveston

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom