Port Mansfield Liberty Ships & Side-scanning Sonar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seth Patterson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
2014-10-18_5d3_0278.JPG

The stormy skies, moderate winds, and reported 3-5 foot seas Saturday morning made it obvious the day out on the water was going to be a bit on the challenging side, but we headed out all the same. Our destination was the Port Mansfield Liberty Ships artificial reef site, located approximately 9 miles off the beaches of South Padre Island. Our objectives were to conduct several experiments for a University of Texas at Brownsville's graduate student's (Mike's) research project using side-scanning sonar.

All things considered, the ride out was actually fairly smooth, but certainly very wet and the gloomy skies gave the chill a chance to set in. Those who ventured outside didn't stay out very long. However, once we arrived on site and the sun perked up a bit, things warmed up considerably. We tied off to one of the cut-off oil rig platforms and set about our work.

First up was to conduct a visual and video survey of schooling fish in the water column. This information will later help Mike distinguish what fish were captured on his sonar scans. Unfortunately, as is often the case, visibility wasn’t too great (3-30ft) but we made the best of it. At least the water was still a constant 80° throughout! After the surveys were completed and on my second dive, I accompanied two others down to document their attempt at catching a red snapper and surgically implanting an acoustic tag into it but regrettably the snapper just weren't biting, so the dive was called.

Once back on the boat, we untethered and set about hauling Mike’s side-scanning sonar apparatus, known as the TowFish, to map out the artificial reef site and, more specifically, the congregations of fish around them. Mike’s thesis project is looking at the feasibility of using side-scanning sonar to assess fish populations and dynamics at artificial reef sites.

Of course, all of these tasks ended up taking most of the day and by the time the side-scanning was wrapping up the sun was already setting. For me, this was great! The light was really beautiful and the cumulonimbus clouds surrounding stunning. Understandably though, everyone else was tired and ready to go home. The ride back was much, much wetter and everyone except for me huddled inside the cabin on the way back to port. I donned my rain gear, head to toe, and laid against the engine compartment for warmth. I got pretty damp, but I slept like a baby!

Another grand day out on the Gulf.

2014-10-18_7d_0094.JPG

Descending...

2014-10-18_7d_0073.JPG

This massive school of Crevalle Jacks would emerge out of the murk and encircle me for a few minutes before melting back from whence they came.

2014-10-18_7d_0068.JPG

I took a few minutes to play with the locals... This is a Spanish Hogfish working along the reefed oil platform.

2014-10-18_7d_0048.JPG

Spotfin Butterflyfish

2014-10-18_7d_0081.JPG

Attempt at underwater rod-n-reel fishing but the fish weren't biting...

2014-10-18_5d3_0024.JPG

Our Captain, deftly navigating the vessel, and the side-scanning towfish towed behind us, within mere feet of the artificial reef structure.

2014-10-18_5d3_0081.JPG

Mike with his torpedo-like TowFish.

2014-10-18_5d3_0019.JPG

Mike recording the side-scan passes.

2014-10-18_5d3_0011.JPG

One of the Port Mansfield Liberty Ship oil-rig platforms as acoustically scanned by Mike's TowFish.

2014-10-18_5d3_0239.JPG

Dr. Kline keeps a watchful eye on the TowFish being pulled behind the boat.

2014-10-18_5d3_0247.JPG

Dr. Kline helping direct the vessel so it passes within the proper distance for the sonar to be most effective without getting snagged on the structure.

2014-10-18_5d3_0135.JPG

Mike recovering his TowFish.

2014-10-18_5d3_0296.JPG

Spooling up the sonar.

2014-10-18_5d3_0266.JPG

Sunset on the Gulf as we headed back to Port...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom