Flower Gardens in late May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jameseg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking at options for a Memorial Day weekend dive trip. The Flower Gardens via the Fling looks like a potential option. Anyone have experience diving in the Flower Gardens that time of year? My big questions are:

1. How likely is it for the trip to be blown out in late May? I'll be flying down from MN, so re-scheduling for another week wouldn't really be an option.
2. What do you see that time of year? I'm not picky, but do love the big stuff.

Thanks!
James

Odds are------: less than 50/50....you can look back @ previous May's--------linked here

Fling Charters

I quickly looked back to May of '11(OUCH--maybe 1 trip went out that May)--wth '12, '13, & '14 %'s being better......Just look back @ their previous calendars(you can walk your way thru MANY previous years).......It ALL depends on the weather---& literally God only knows right now what it will be like in a month & a half from now.....:)

EDIT:......traveling that far-ie MN-----I'd try for a July or August trip(weather's A LOT better on the average then in the Gulf)-----I've been out 4 times(each in July or August of 4 different years) & never had a 'blown out' one------RUFF sometimes but every time it's been "A Go"...........good luck.....

Last edited:
Id be interested in doing that trip too sometime but I am always discouraged by the blown out factor. I dont care which month but I will be flying from DC so being blown out is not an option.

Id be interested in doing that trip too sometime but I am always discouraged by the blown out factor. I dont care which month but I will be flying from DC so being blown out is not an option.

Don't get me wrong-it's a GREAT US dive trip----whalwesharks/mantas/tons of sharks etc etc etc etc----------
Here's a pic & a video of a manta that came by me & my dive partner last summer(that's me trying to flag it down---& btw it won the race--heading into that big current)-----&----only 7 of the 30 divers saw it(me & my dive buddy & that small group you see @ the end of the video---& they just barely got it in, from a far)....Bottom line---sometimes you have to be QUICK & LUCKY to spot the big things :)...(you see, IF my buddy & I would have been quicker we'd have gotten MUCH better pics & a video------IE when we 1st spotted it, it was about 5 feet over our left shoulders while we were starting our final ascent on the line---we had our cameras all shut down thinking the dive was completely 'over'----'breaks of the game' I put that in...)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/15156886941/in/set-72157646482490137

14867175467_881fccd142_z.jpg
[/URL]Manta ray--West Bank Flower Garden August 2014 by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

but------but for you 'longer travelers'(we live about a 3 hour car ride from Freeport)I'd feel VERY leery......In fact, we went out on the Fling the weekend before Labor Day Weekend last year----& being nosey checked back the next week ie Labor Day Weekend & saw it was blown out(same long weekend type of schedule as a Memorial Day weekend).Bottom line, the Fling was booked up that Labor Day weekend & lost a LOT of money----due to weather(many thousands of dollars)

Blowouts are unavoidable but your odds of going improve significantly in June. When you book your flight you can usually get flight insurance for under $30. That's probably the only non-refundable part of your weekend trip. You might want to book a motel Sunday night and fly back Monday but most motels will let you cancel with 48 hours notice. Small price to pay to do something you want to do.

The Fling is only 25 minutes from my driveway, and I'd love to dive the Flower Gardens again. The only thing keeping me from going is the fact they don't allow rebreathers.

Interesting thread. I've been interested, too. Both in the Fling & in a live-aboard out of California to the Channel Islands. In both cases, it'd be a fairly short trip (not a week trip like some Caribbean operators do), and there is that risk of getting blown out due to bad weather.

What is the best month or two of the year for the best chance at good conditions on a planned Fling trip?

Richard.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm focused on Memorial Day weekend this year due to the extra day off work (with a recent job change, PTO is more limited than it used to be). Sounds like I might be better off waiting until I can do this trip in June or July. Will think about it. If I do pull the trigger and we get blown out, could always drive over to Austin for the weekend, which is a city we really enjoy and would like to get back to.

Tortugas on the Spree is another great option, but they're running a 4 day trip, so PTO is again a bit of an issue. Might end up in Jupiter or the Keys shore-based.

James

This will be my third summer in a row to spend 4 days aboard the MV SPREE. Great people, great operation, and they are rebreather friendly, even on recreational trips. MV Fling is 25 minutes from the house, MV Spree is a 24 hour drive from the house.

Post after this are correct, July & Aug are you best bet for the Fling. They have a good operation for recreational divers, and you'll love Stetson Bank.

Last edited:
Blowouts are unavoidable but your odds of going improve significantly in June. When you book your flight you can usually get flight insurance for under $30. That's probably the only non-refundable part of your weekend trip. You might want to book a motel Sunday night and fly back Monday but most motels will let you cancel with 48 hours notice. Small price to pay to do something you want to do.

This plan actually makes sense. I can call them a few days before to check and if they are getting blown out then it will be a no go.

Back
Top Bottom