Take a stand for sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sushi Boy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Texas divers, we need your help to protect sharks.

HB 1579 (relating to the sale and purchase of shark fins or products derived from shark fins; creating a criminal offense) has made it through the Texas House and is now beginning its path through the Texas Senate.

The primary intent of this bill is not to curb local consumption, but rather to continue to make it more difficult for the shark fin trade to move their product from where the sharks are being slaughtered to Asia for consumption. As other states (9 so far) put protections in place, an increasing percentage of the shark fin trade moves through Texas airports and seaports.

If you are unfamiliar with shark finning and the magnitude of the shark fin trade, please let me know and I can get you more information.

The first step is for the Senate Committee on Agriculture, Water & Rural Affairs to review the bill and hopefully recommend that it be voted on by the full Texas Senate.

You can find a list of the state Senators who are on the committee by clicking here. If you click on their names, you'll be taken to pages where you can find their phone numbers or send them emails.

For now, what we need is for you to do is contact the chair, vice-chair and members of that committee saying something to the effect of "I support HB 1579 relating to the shark fin trade and request that your committee approve for it to be voted on by the full Senate." (Feel free to expand upon and/or personalize that statement.)

If there is anyone who will be in Austin the week of 18-22 May and would be willing to visit the committee meeting and say a few words in support of the bill, please let me know & I can put you in touch with the right people.

As the bill hopefully moves out of committee and to the Senate floor, I'll update this thread with additional ways that you can help.

This only takes a few minutes. Let's let the folks in Austin know that we care about sharks and want our state to protect them!

HB 1579 made it out of the Senate committee on Sunday and is on the floor of the Senate today for voting.

Please take a moment to contact your state senator and ask them to vote for the bill.

Good news all. The bill was passed by the Senate on Wednesday by a 27-4 margin.
beer-cheers.gif

From here the bill goes to the governor's office, where he could veto it, sign it, or allow it to become law without signature.

I'm in touch with a staffer in the bill sponsor's office to find out what, if any, efforts on our part are needed to get it past this final stage. I'll keep you posted on what I hear.

Ladies and gentlemen...

I do believe that Texas just became the first red state to ban the shark fin trade.

062015.JPG

:cool2:

The law becomes enforceable only in one year from now. Thus, get your shark fin soup for 12 more months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom