Recommendations for Offshore Rig Diving in TX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoobajay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I'm on a 2 1/2 month surface interval and I've already decided that's too long! I've been looking at some youtube videos and it seems like there are some decent dives to be done on offshore rigs in the gulf. Plus, I love me some sharks :)

Are there any reputable dive ops that do day trips? (I'm not talking flower gardens, just 15-20 miles off shore)

Also, my dive buddy has some serious sea sickness issues. Just how bad is it?

Heck, everyone has a reputation.... :D

I have not dived with Captain Beard Charters ( Captain Beard Charters ) , but many of my friends do, and some DM for him, including reefhound here on scubaboard.

I happen to also like Capt. Randy of Sport Divers of Clear Lake. He used to run a charter in Texas, but then, so did I. Give a shout and see what's up.

Jay,

+1 on Frank's recommendations.

You can find some good discussion on rig diving in this thread and a list of operators here although not all of those are in operation anymore.

The Gulf can be flat as glass (rarely) or pretty "sporty". You take your chances when you head out there in a small boat. If your dive buddy isn't your S/O, you might want to take a trip out there with someone else first so you can let them know first-hand if you think the conditions are a good match for how prone they are to seasickness. If that buddy is determined to go, have them load up on the prevention meds. Start taking them the night before your trip & stay well-hydrated before & during.

Enjoy! There's some great diving on the rigs.

I know a few people who dive with Capt. Beard charters and speak very highly of the trips. My only concern is that he reportedly jumps in with the divers, meaning that there is no one left on the boat while its tied to the rig.

I did a rig dive with a different Texas charter captain who did the same thing. We were exploring the rig at about 80' and I looked down and see a diver ascending from below me. It turned out to be the captain. When we got back on board I asked the captain what would have happened if the current had changed and pushed the boat into the rig...or what would have happened if the captain had a dive emergency while solo diving and the rest of us were in the water. He had no answers for me and I never hired him again.

Maybe its just me.

We usually have at least two instructors and one divemaster on each trip as crew. One of the crew is always aboard the vessel while divers are in the water.

If it is a for hire charter versus a recreational trip, the USCG licensed captain does not dive and always remains on board to respond to any possible emergencies.

In order to conduct for hire charters, the vessel must also be properly documented with the USCG with what is known as a coastwise endorsement. A for hire charter dive vessel should also have oxygen, an EPIRB and type 1 offshore rated flotation devices among other things.

In addition to seasick medication, there is a device on the market called a relief band. It is an electronic device that applies an electrical shock to an accupuncture point on the wrist. It is very effective for many people including myself, although I have never needed to use it on one of our trips. We offer them for use of our passengers if needed. It is also available from amazon and west marine.

We usually go out on Sundays and only when the wave height is no greater than 2 to 3 feet. Last week, we went out twice and hope everyone had a good time. You can check our facebook page to see some of the photos. On the last trip, in addition to the usually sealife, we also saw 4 queen angelfish and one diver killed 8 lionfish.

Last edited:
Heck, everyone has a reputation.... :D

I have not dived with Captain Beard Charters ( Captain Beard Charters ) , but many of my friends do, and some DM for him, including reefhound here on scubaboard.

I happen to also like Capt. Randy of Sport Divers of Clear Lake. He used to run a charter in Texas, but then, so did I. Give a shout and see what's up.

Thanks Frank but I have temporarily retired from chartering. Now I just teach and dive and of course work in the store.

I used to go out of Port Aransas and dive the many rigs back in early to mid 2000's. Been out fishing in the area the past two years and it is unbelievable. Rigs are almost non-existant. Does anyone know if there are any rigs between say 15 and 40 miles out from either Port Aransas or Packery? Also if anyone has been out or is going out, how about posting if blue water was found and how far out.

Back
Top Bottom