Mammoth Lake?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ttriton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anyone have a report on Mammoth Lake? Daughter's finishing up OW this weekend and thinking of heading over and get her some dives, in the next couple weeks. I'm in Louisiana so its about 2.5 to 3 hrs from me. What about Blue Lagoon or any other spots around the area?

Thanks

I live about 45 minutes south of Toledo Bend dam....When this water level in the turbine channel straightens out, need to do some diving with me.....TB itself might be OK now though.....

We camp at South Toledo State Park sometimes. Heard of the turbine channel but not familiar with it. I'll have to explore a little.

There's a Sticky thread here called Dive Condition Reports that generally has recent reports for many of the local mudholes.

We camp at South Toledo State Park sometimes. Heard of the turbine channel but not familiar with it. I'll have to explore a little.

Head to the dam---& look due south(it's the man made channel straight south that eventually connects with the Sabine River)...I like to kayak down it then dive off my kayak......Good hard(rocky) bottom for the most part with decent vis.....Here's some pics & videos I've made in it--in fact the pic of my kayak in the water is taken @ the South TB State Park boat ramp...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/sets/72157630797557410

BUT---they've been running both generators 24/7 for a week or so now(with about 9 flood gates opened a foot or 2) & the diving in the channel is ?kinda out-----ALTHOUGH ---we have dived it in the past ---lol as a white water drift dive...Have to be careful in ~15 kt. current..:)

Is this the channel on the Louisiana side or the Texas side?

There is no(turbine) channel on the La side---------ie the La/Texas state line goes underneath where the flood gates on the big levy are, so you're into Texas all the way when you've come to the generators--ALTHOUGH-I think of the channel as having a La side & a Texas side--but in reality you've crossed into Texas(all the way) @ the line of flood gates so all the generator plant & therefore the turbine channel is in Texas......

EDIT:..here is a video of diving in the channel--@ the end of the video @ the 4:55 mark looking south & 5:02 mark looking north toward the 2 generator units ...Also----all the land you see on the left & right banks are in the state of Texas---so, you must follow Texas state rules on spearfishing etc(ie NO shooting of catfish on SCUBA).....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXN5dUnMqv8

Last edited:
Ok, I guess I was talking about the flood gates that dump into a channel. There's no housing or anything, the hwy just passes over them. I've been down those dirt roads but haven't gone further south to where I assume the generators are, looking at Google earth.
Thanks

I refuse to drive to Mammoth Lake from Houston and you want to make it all the way from Louisiana... That is some commitment.

What about twin lakes or blue lagoon?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom