Memorial Weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AustinDiver#7

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to go for a dive or 2 Memorial weekend. I am available Thursday evening through monday. Somewhere close to Austin would be great. Travis or the Guadlupe are places I would love to go. I have heard there is quite the treasure in the guadalupe during this weekend. I have been so busy and disconnected from a scuba group that I do not have a buddy.

BTW : There are many SCUBA shops in Austin. who do I stay away from and who has a great shop?

I visited about six different shops as a newbie both prior to starting an OW class and during it. I'm taking classes at Tom's Dive & Swim and definitely recommend them. Only thing I didn't like was the fairly limited equipment selection. So I bought most of my equipment at ScubaLand, which seems to have one of the best equipment selections. I also really liked Dive World. The owner was very friendly and enthusiastic about everything. Have also heard plenty of good things about Oak Hill Scuba, but they're too far south for me so I have not yet been there.

Don't waste your time with Dive world. I went out to then to look at a reg and they were like "please fill free to test it in our heated pool". I liked the reg but was unsure about the BC and computer i wanted. They told me to take my time and call them if i had any questions. so far so great........untill i called them

I called them and said i looked at a few other dive shops and websites and found the BC i wanted (Dive world was a 40 min drive for me). when i called them i told them i picked out my BC i also told them that another dive shop quoted me a price. The guy at Dive world (the owner or manager i think) went off on me. He was how could you go else where for a quote when we let you use our pool. and he went on and on

i told him that it was nice of him and that I would give Dive world the chance to match any price that the other dive shop gave me. and that i would love to use them for classes. Dive world told me they did not want a client who looks at other dive shops when they were trying to work out a deal with them.

i told Dive world OK then you don't have me as a client, not for gear and not for classes.

ScubaLand was Great....got 85% of my gear there. ScubaToys in dallas (scubatoys.com) has some of the best prices and cheap shipping rates. shipping from dallas to austin via UPS ground only takes overnight.

DiveWorld is my recommendation -- sorry to hear that firedogut had such a rotten experience, but I've not seen that sort of attitude from Mike Moore and his main guy, Chaim, in three years of dealing with them. I certified through them, including a no-hassle referral from them for my check dive elsewhere, and equipped through them. In all cases, they were honestly informative; Mike advised when I didn't need to spend top dollar on the very best of his own stock, as a newbie. I expressed to Mike at the beginning that while I didn't need Cadillac quality and price, I still wanted at least Chevrolet quality. After all, as we agreed, one shouldn't try to protect oneself and enjoy diving by the lowest bid. He always respected my target range.

I like Austin Aqua Sports the best. Mike at AAS has been awesome so far.

I also shop dive world, and Deep Blue scuba which are also great shops!

Back
Top Bottom