Tips for Diving in Texas/Houston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reddog

Registered
Reaction score
I find myself traveling to Houston for business regularly and would like to hook up with a dive operator to do some diving in the Gulf. Any suggestions? Saw from another thread that folks were recommending Rinn Boats, but I couldn't tell where they were out of or if they were gotten to via another dive shop.

Also, all the threads seemed to indicate overnight and night diving. Is this the norm in the Gulf or do they do day trips as well?

Finally, I am used to diving in the Caribbean and quite frankly, reading some of the threads about diving conditions in the Gulf is blowing me away! I admit it -- I'm not from the great state itself, but what's it take to dive there? Can anyone give me a perspective on relative differences between the Carribean and the Gulf?

Thanks

Red,

Welcome to the boards first. Nice to have you.

The Rinn boats and Sea Searcher both run out of Freeport. Actually alot of charter boats diving and fishing run out of Freeport.

I don't know much about short trips out of the area for hitting the rigs or some of the wrecks. The most common trip you hear about is one of the boats running out to the Flower Gardens which is a two night trip. Your best bet for a trip in the gulf would be hook up with a shop and book a dive or two with them.

The Carribean vs the Gulf... thats tough. Carribean vis (I think) as a rule better. I don't know that weather currents are much different. You also kind of need to specify where in the gulf. Texas gulf vis can be nil to not bad. The further you get from the coast the better it gets but still not as good as the Carribean.

Hope this answered some of your questions.

Tom

If you see the Texas Swamp Divers making a dive you are interested in chime in. We will take you along.

Dee is the main contact for the Houston group of the NDI Texas Swamp Diving Team. I'd get with her on your schedule and I bet she can fit you in to what's happening down there.

For us (the TSDT) we are doing several things in the upcomming year. Be sure to check out the Texas Section on this board for info.

And if you're ever in Dallas, get with me or Tom as we get out to our local mudholes as often as possible.

Originally posted by reddog
I find myself traveling to Houston for business regularly and would like to hook up with a dive operator to do some diving in the Gulf. Any suggestions? Saw from another thread that folks were recommending Rinn Boats, but I couldn't tell where they were out of or if they were gotten to via another dive shop.

Also, all the threads seemed to indicate overnight and night diving. Is this the norm in the Gulf or do they do day trips as well?

Finally, I am used to diving in the Caribbean and quite frankly, reading some of the threads about diving conditions in the Gulf is blowing me away! I admit it -- I'm not from the great state itself, but what's it take to dive there? Can anyone give me a perspective on relative differences between the Carribean and the Gulf?

Thanks

Galveston is the closest shoreline we have to Houston and you can forget diving out of there...the water is like chocolate milk! There is a few inlets but they usually lead to marina which have oil on the surface and stuff you'd just as soon not know about!

Mike's right, Freeport is about a 90 minute drive from Houston. There are numerous small boats that will take you out to the rigs. but be warned, these are also fishing boats that are not set up for diving. You're best bet is the Rinn and Sea SearcherII boats. all three are 100ft crew boats converted to liveaboards, and go farther out.

You usually don't see blue water until you get 25-30 miles out because of the Houston Ship Channel and the shallow depths inshore.

The most frequented dive site is the Flower Gardens located 110 nautical miles offshore. The Gulf can be flat as a pancake with no currents at all. Normal is considered to be 3-4ft seas with a moderate current. And frequently you'll have 5-8ft seas and a ripping current...you just never know till ya get out there! And it can change in a matter of minutes. That's why it's best to be on a large boat!

I don't want to dissuade you from diving the Gulf...it can be some of the best diving you'll do. Just realize that you aren't going to just call a dive op and go get on a boat. It takes lots of planning and always have a plan B ready.

As Mike mentioned, we have a trip to the Flower Gardens planned for Aug. 9-11. If you're interested, look under the Texas section of this board. I'll be happy to answer any of your questions.

I have booked Rinn Boats with Houston Scuba Academy - and was quite happy with their service.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom