Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Camp Tonkawa in Nacogdoches

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

Camp Tonkawa in Nacogdoches

Anybody ever heard of this place? I found a reference to it on the Dive Training Magazine website.
    http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/divingusa.html
    I did a lttle research and the only thing I found was a rv park.
    http://www.camptonkawa.com/about.htm
    The website says it has a swimming hole with clean water, but I don't know about diving it.
    Just thought I'd see if any of you East Texas types ( Tony?), might know something about it..

There are a couple of other divesites listed that are kinda intriguing.
    I'm gonna have the check out Lea Lake in N.M.
    After all it's just down the road.
    " Live each day like it's your last because someday you'll be right."

Registered

Dive buddy the Holy Spirit.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos

Registered

Maybe, just maybe ...
    NOVEMBER?

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckDiver
    Anybody ever heard of this place? I found a reference to it on the Dive Training Magazine website.
    http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/divingusa.html
    I did a lttle research and the only thing I found was a rv park.
    http://www.camptonkawa.com/about.htm
    The website says it has a swimming hole with clean water, but I don't know about diving it.
    Just thought I'd see if any of you East Texas types ( Tony?), might know something about it..

There are a couple of other divesites listed that are kinda intriguing.
    I'm gonna have the check out Lea Lake in N.M.
    After all it's just down the road.
    How old is the info on this site page?? Lake Travis is listed as 'Travis Lake' with a bunch of info on the old Scuba Park that I believe shut down a number of years ago .... also Windy Point is listed as 'Wendy Point' with no info attached .... Couldn't findy any dates listed, so my guess is this might be some old out of date info that they haven't updated, which would explain why the dive spot you're looking at is a kids camp .... from their website it doesn't seem the camp has been around that long ....
    Kat

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by texdiveguy
    Naw, this place is supposed to be in Nacogdoches. That Camp Towkana is located north of DFW, I think its a youth or scouting type camp.

Kat, I have no idea how old the info is. I was just cruising their website and found the map. It probably is old info in dire need of updating. Still a kinda cool webpage though.
    " Live each day like it's your last because someday you'll be right."

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Camp Tonkawa was a BSA camp a long time ago. It closed before I started SFA in '88.

Much of the land belonged to the Tucker family in Nacogdoches. I dated a Tucker for a short time thats how I know much of this.

The swimming hole was a really nice cold spring that had a rope swing. It was a very popular spot to go drink beer, swim, etc... The land was sold to Ozarka sometime around 1990. If you ever look at an Ozarka bottle and it says it was bottled in Henderson County Texas, that is probably the spring.

The pond wasn't more than about 10 feet deep and not much bigger than your average swimming pool, but it was a great place while it lasted.

TwoBit

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Ok, teach me to read links before I post.

The site isn't kidding. Its really cold water. I still wouldn't think it would be big enough or really deep enough to dive.

TwoBit