Quarry question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Somewhat recently I dived a quarry that was under consideration as a scuba park. It was deep (150+ ft) and about 15 feet viz. There were actually two quarries. I am curious, however, what makes the water have an extremely metallic taste. Had a water sample taken but nothing appeared to really stand out. Archman, any comment on the metallic taste and why do I have a third eye now?

Where was this quarry?

Well...just WHERE in Texas makes a difference. We don't need the old ladies address but the town name or general area would help. Some areas have high levels of iron in the ground, some are very alkaline from the limestone, etc.

Could have also been a bad air fill in the sense of an odd taste.....not common but possible.

I'm not from TX but I have done a lot of water treatment for shrimp hatcheries. Dee is right, maybe. High Fe (iron) can cause that taste. Try put 4-5 ounces of Clorox in a 5 gallon bucket of that water. If it turns orange brown in a few minutes, it is probably iron. (This shouldn't cause any health problems but you may have problems hatching baby fish in it). Alkalinity by itself shouldn't cause the metallic taste. Pure seawater has high alkalinity compared to most fresh and it has no metallic taste.

freediver:
location is east Texas.
Now were getting somewhere.......... :06: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom