Dallas Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hey all, just wanted to let anyone who might be interested that this weekend (Sat. March 26th) at the Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park we are having a special education day for the kiddos.

Last time we did it we had the sea turtle and one of the american aligators out of their tanks for folks to see up close.

We also have the touch tank with live animals for everyone to see and touch, we actually got some new animals just recently in. The "bio-cart" with sealife artifacts like shark jaws, megladon and great white teeth, whale baleen and teeth, and who knows what.

Piranah feeding at 2:00 or is it 2:30? one of the two.

And of course the DIVE SHOWS, my buddy James will be doing the cleaning/maintenance dive in the Flooded Amazon Rainforrest exibit tank at 1:30p and I will be doing the feeding dive in the same 10,000 gallon tank at 3:00p.

We'd love to have y'all come down and see us if your looking for Easter weekend family fun.

We are located on the State Fairgrounds between the Texas Star farris wheel and the band shell. only $3 for years 12 and up and $1.50 for the littleuns, what a bargin!!

o but i think it would be more fun to participate than just watch tho

I've been contacted about the need for volunters. The person mentioned they need divers and other help at the Dallas Aquarium. Sounds like fun. I wish I could remember the contact persons name. They offered tickets on the DAN auction this year to get some divers attention.

If I am am up to it I will see you there. Between the spider bite and my allegeries I am pretty under the weather. I do hope to round up some little ones but I am a kid at heart

All of us divers are volunteers and I think we do need more volunteers, we just hired a new educational staff person, we've been without for the past year and a guy from the zoo has been helping us out. We have one or two people that have been volunteers for almost a year and without the educational staff we haven't been able to set up a dive training class for them, but hopefully that will be changing soon.

I don't have the information on me but if anyone is interested, I can get the volunteer coordinator's name and number and post it here. OR go to www.dallaszoo.org and click on the aquarium link and there is a volunteer info link from there.

By the way, just to make sure we are on the same page, I am talking about the Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park, not the Dallas World Aquarium in the West End. They are a commercial venture and we are the city's aquarium. A lot of people get us mixed up and show up at the wrong place.

sharky60:
All of us divers are volunteers and I think we do need more volunteers, we just hired a new educational staff person, we've been without for the past year and a guy from the zoo has been helping us out. We have one or two people that have been volunteers for almost a year and without the educational staff we haven't been able to set up a dive training class for them, but hopefully that will be changing soon.

I don't have the information on me but if anyone is interested, I can get the volunteer coordinator's name and number and post it here. OR go to www.dallaszoo.org and click on the aquarium link and there is a volunteer info link from there.

By the way, just to make sure we are on the same page, I am talking about the Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park, not the Dallas World Aquarium in the West End. They are a commercial venture and we are the city's aquarium. A lot of people get us mixed up and show up at the wrong place.

Here is the info about the divers needed.

Aquarium Education Volunteers/DiversThese volunteers teach our visitors about the underwater world. They provide upclose animal encounters, use unique aquatic artifacts and interpret a variety of exhibits at The Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park. Certified diver volunteers also have the opportunity to dive in the Amazon Flooded Forest, performing tank maintenance and educating visitors using an underwater microphone system. This volunteer position is great for enthusiastic, outgoing people with excellent communication skills who love the aquatic world. These volunteers must commit to one shift per month, 11:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., on either Saturday or Sunday. All divers must have scuba certification, be at least 21 years of age, and have a minimum of 20 hours bottom time or advanced certification. (For animal care positions at the Aquarium, please see the "Keeper Aide Volunteer" job description.)

I would love to volunteer but I emailed them about it about a month ago and got a "thanks but no thanks" kind of message. They don't have enough people to train them, as was said in the earlier post. They said they added me to the list but who knows?

Michael Freeman:
Here is the info about the divers needed.

Aquarium Education Volunteers/DiversThese volunteers teach our visitors about the underwater world. They provide upclose animal encounters, use unique aquatic artifacts and interpret a variety of exhibits at The Dallas Aquarium at Fair Park. Certified diver volunteers also have the opportunity to dive in the Amazon Flooded Forest, performing tank maintenance and educating visitors using an underwater microphone system. This volunteer position is great for enthusiastic, outgoing people with excellent communication skills who love the aquatic world. These volunteers must commit to one shift per month, 11:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., on either Saturday or Sunday. All divers must have scuba certification, be at least 21 years of age, and have a minimum of 20 hours bottom time or advanced certification. (For animal care positions at the Aquarium, please see the "Keeper Aide Volunteer" job description.)

WOW! We do all that?!...just kidding.
Yeah, like I said we've been short of a full time educational staff at the aquarium for the past year. They just hired someone a couple of months ago and she is just getting on board at the aquarium after her training at the zoo.
Hopefully in the near future we can get a new class for volunteers set up. Being a city run organization the wheels turn awfully slow around there.
But come down anyway and see what's it's all about, if not this weekend, any Saturday, whoever is working will be more than happy to fill you in on what we do.

THellURider:
I would love to volunteer but I emailed them about it about a month ago and got a "thanks but no thanks" kind of message. They don't have enough people to train them, as was said in the earlier post. They said they added me to the list but who knows?

I've heard just about the same thing. I'm supposed to be on their list, too.

i called them and got the same thing will put ya on our list

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom