Hin Muang/Hin Daeng Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bruce90292

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be going to Thailand in February and am interested in diving at Hin Muang/Hin Daeng. I have been certified since summer 2005 and have done about 40 dives, in Southern CA and Fiji including the Great White Wall in the Somosomo Straight. In looking at info on these sights, they are described as advanced. I am wondering if anyone can provide insights as to how advanced, etc. these might be (I had no problem at the Great White Wall which is also described as advanced).

Thanks for the help.

Bruce

I dove Hin Daeng/Hin Muang last February and had no trouble with sites at all regarding currents. They were there, but were very manageable. I suppose that conditions could of course change. Enjoy the area. I liked diving there every bit as much as the Similans. I'm heading to Fiji this summer to dive Kadavu (astrolab reef) and the Bligh waters and was wondering myself how the currents would stack up to those in Thailand. My guess is they will be stronger.

I love these dive sites. And aside from their fields of anemones, soft corals, deep drop offs, they have been the best sites over the last few years for sightings of whalesharks and manta rays. Mantas pretty much all season November - May, whalesharks March - May. No guarantees, and anyway these are beautiful sites to dive. I never had a bad dive at Hin Daeng, but I found Hin Muang can be trickier in a current, as the currents sweep over the top of the ridge. Its not beginners diving really due to the currents and the depth of the water.

Hin Daeng

Hin Muang

Batfish:
There does seem to be some connection, but then where do they go when its not full moon? Mark 13th April in your diaries, which is also Songkran (Thai New Year).
They become triggerfish?

Personally, I don't know how much the currents at these sites are infulenced by the moon cycles. I've experienced the strong changes due to the lunar cycle at places like A. Reef, King Cruiser, which are in open ocean.

These are definitely great dives! I'd have to agree though that especially Hin Muang is one where you have to watch the currents. Our DM kept us below the top of the ridge which gave protection but the descent and ascent along the anchor line entailed holding on quite tight. If you do get blown off though it's just a blue water ascent with an SS and the boats will pick you up. The mantas were awesome! It's probably not a beginners dive or at least you should be capable of using your safety sausage by yourself and making a slow blue water ascent.

Ringo:
Gor for it Bruce! You will enjoy these dive sites and should have no problem with 40 dives under your belt.
I'd agree. As long as you feel comfortable doing what I mentioned with 40 dives you should be fine. It's not like you need to be a trained DM or something with 400!

Thank you all very much, I appreciate the help (and encouragement).

I will be staying on Koh Lanta with my wife (non-diver). We are thinking of staying at Costa Lanta. Anyone have any experience with that hotel? Any other suggestions re: hotel and/or dive shop?

Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom