Need recommendation for courses in Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doodlebug

New
Reaction score
I recently got my advanced certification in Koh Tao and am now looking for a shop in Phuket for rescue diver and divemaster.

Some info:
I am staying on Patong beach near Nanai road for the next four weeks but can stay longer.

I only have about 20 logged dives (actually I don't have my original log book so my current one just has the 5 dives for the advanced course). In Koh Tao the divemaster courses offered unlimited dives but most places here in Patong only offer 20 or 25 dives.

I don't want manuals because I will be backpacking over the next 6 months and would have to mail them home. Most dive shops here require you to buy them.

I've looked around a little bit and my favorite place is West Coast Divers but I'd really prefer to get a recommendation from someone. I'm not very experienced and don't know what questions to ask.

West Coast divers will charge 38000 baht (almost $1000) for EFR, Rescue Diver, and Divemaster (that includes manuals and a 10% discount for taking multiple classes but does not include the 10-15 dives I need to before taking the divemaster class). They are about a 15 minute walk from my guesthouse. Deep Blue is a little bit closer to me and I might go with them if I heard a recomendation.

OK, that's probably too much information. Really I'd just like to know a place that people have had good experiences with and if it's close and cheap that's a bonus.

Thanks,
Dave

Actually, I would recommend West Coast Divers myself. Not at DM yet but I did do my OW and AOW with Nate (great instructor, previously from Calypso) earlier this month. I found them to be very reasonably prized, the courses were run professionally and the dive boats were nice. The 2k bh extra for certification and manuals are mandatory now after 1 Jan 2006, I've yet to come across another dive shop in patong who doesn't charge that.

I recall from my conversations with the other DM trainees on the boat with them that when you sign up for the DM course, West Coast will actually get you up to the 35 dives requirement if you join the dive trips and "help out" on the boats with the gears and all that. Which makes this a fantastic deal if you're going for DM (10-15 dives + DM certification for Bh 27,000 on peak season). Check with them to see if they still offer unlimited dives?

Good luck!

Thanks Traminer. West Coast Divers said that I could go on the boat dives for 500 baht per day which seems like a really good price for 2-3 dives per day. I know dive shops in Ko Tao will let you help out as long as you want -- I met someone who had been taking the DM class for 3 months just for the free dives.

I checked the PADI website and it said that 20 dives are required for DM although I don't blame any shop for having stricter requirements or changing things during the high season.

HI,

I suggest you try Sea Fun divers, based in the Le Meriden hotel, just outside Patong on the road to Karon. They will give you unlimited beach dives at the Meridien's private beach, plus plenty of day trips on their boat. You'll need to rent a bike to go there, but I reckon if you're staying a month, a bike is a good idea anyway.

If you do go to see them ask for Rene and tell him Jamie sent you :)

Enjoy your stay. Hope to see you around.

You should be aware that PADI now requires all students to own manuals for the courses they're doing, as long as the materials are available in a language the student understands. So you won't be able to avoid getting the manuals (unless the instructor violates standards). If you don't want to carry them around, mail them home. It shouldn't take more than 6 months for them to arrive, even from Thailand!

Also, you can indeed begin your DM training with just 20 dives, but you need to have 60 logged dives in order to actually receive DM status.

Back
Top Bottom