Why similian has sunk in 100 top Dive Sites of the World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm intersted in more similar site giving dive site ranking, couldn't find anything

I'd certainly agree with Malaysia Islands. I just went to Sharm el-Sheikh and am in Cairo now. I'd say that the list gets a lot of votes from Europeans, probably more so Britons. You can tell by the number of Red Sea dive sites in the Top 20. Places like Sipadan only manage a few patronising entries. And respectable destination like Sangalaki didn't even manage to get listed.

F/E

malaysia-islands:
All these rankings are done subjectively anyway.

You can check out cyber diver for more rankings http://www.cyber-diver.com/best.html. I dove the Similans before and after the tsunami and i would say it is not what it used to be. I would agree with the assessment of 30% reef damage. But I would go back again because it is still good and offers reasonable value. I would treat all rankings with suspicion. Talking to other divers and viewing their galleries is a better approach to finding dive sites of interest.

joestone:
You can check out cyber diver for more rankings http://www.cyber-diver.com/best.html. I dove the Similans before and after the tsunami and i would say it is not what it used to be. I would agree with the assessment of 30% reef damage. But I would go back again because it is still good and offers reasonable value. I would treat all rankings with suspicion. Talking to other divers and viewing their galleries is a better approach to finding dive sites of interest.

Thanks for the link, it seems divers are coming to thailand more for nightlife, facilities, lifestyle, culture ....not just diving

Hence let assume there wasn't much of side attractions, where thai dive sites stand for worldwide ranking? Maybe ranked top #40 somthing

Look again at the results. Most of them are for specific dive sites such as Thistlegorm, Liberty wrecks or Barracuda point, Sipadan or Blue Hole Belize or Big Brother Red Sea...or even a particular dive (Manta Ray Night Dive, Kailua Kona, Hawaii).

At number 18, you have the Similans - the entire island chain - which suggests to me that as a general diving area, it still ranks very highly, even if beaten by specific dive sites. I agree with this. For variety of marine life, for changing underwater scenery, it is damn good. You want turtles, try Sipadan, but you get some in Similan. You want macro, try muck diving in Mabul, but you get macro in Similan too. It's got some of everything (except a decent wreck).

The list changes depending on how people vote. I suspect if I could rally 1.000 persons to vote for the Thames, it would rank as a top 5 dive destination.
Don't take it too seriously. It's just for fun and not a serious guide. Better ask on Scubaboard to find out what places are good and what places are rubbish.

/christian

Diver_City Boys:
Same site had similian around #11 ranking early last year from what i remember?

http://www.scubatravel.co.uk/topdiveslong.html

Has Tsunami caused damage to all underwater reefs, corals...I read somewhere that nearly 30% less than what used to be

I Agreed is depend how people voted.

Christian:
The list changes depending on how people vote. I suspect if I could rally 1.000 persons to vote for the Thames, it would rank as a top 5 dive destination.
Don't take it too seriously. It's just for fun and not a serious guide. Better ask on Scubaboard to find out what places are good and what places are rubbish.

/christian

Well, all of my favorite places are rated 80 or worse, and PNG isn't even on the list! Rubbish! :D

Back
Top Bottom