Ko Tao diving in July: Aquademia, Asia Divers or Nang Yuan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squeegy

New
Reaction score
I've never dived before and will be doing my Open Water Diver course in Thailand in early July. If I decide on Ko Tao I've heard some pretty good things about Aquademia, Asia Divers and Nang Yuan. I'm looking for somewhere that is not extremely busy, with perhaps one instructor for every 4 students. I'd also like decent equipment and boats, and a little bit extra cost isn't a huge deal since they're all relatively cheap anyways. Which one do you recommend and why?

1. Aquademia
2. Asia Divers in Mae Haad
3. Asia Divers in Sairee
4. Ko Nang Yuan

Thanks!

Every dive center will have it's fans. I would suggest you go, look around and find a place that you are comfortable with. Ask them questions about the student to instructor ratios, boats etc.. Try to actually meet your instructor before signing up and see if you like them..

Batfish:
Every dive center will have it's fans. I would suggest you go, look around and find a place that you are comfortable with. Ask them questions about the student to instructor ratios, boats etc.. Try to actually meet your instructor before signing up and see if you like them..
I'm with Batfish, just have a wander around, Koh Tao is a small island and the dive shops are mostly all within walking distance, either in Mae Haad or Sairee. You might find some smaller shops on the other side of the island though

The diving is great on tao right now awesome vis.

Try info@scuba-junction.com medium size school big on safety and fun.

Right on the beach offer both SSI and Padi

chrs :D :D :D

Hi Squeegy,

Just finished my course on Koh Tao.
Didn't book anything and didn't believe the touts on the boat who promise whatever to get you in.
Just shopped around and Scuba Junction on Sairee beach gave me the best impression and totally lived up to it.
Guaranteed small classes (max 4), excellent equipment, great staff and a lot of fun and safe at the same time.
My instructor was Mike and he rocks.

Happy bubbles :14: :14:

Simple Life Divers

I did 4 dives with them due to the bad weather at the end of October 2007. They're in the middle of Sairee Beach. It's a fairly small dive school owned and run by a couple of English guys Luke and Hayden. I was impressed with the set up. It was a lot cheaper than Easy Divers as well with each dive THB700 instead of THB1000.

They may not have their own pier but that doesn't really matter. You walk across the beach and load up their longtail boat and then take it out to the dive boat.

I met someone who'd dived with Bans and Easy Divers. What she said re-enforced what I'd read on here about impersonal big dive schools.

The dive school is behind the Simple Life restaurant which is a really cool place to chill out with free pool table, chilled music and good food.

I'd recommend it and the other more experienced divers I met there were very impressed as well.

Hey Sqeegy

Are you still on Koh Tao? No? Eagleandy has a good tip for you, should you ever come back.

Depends on where you work Steven, the bigger shops have hardly any turnover at all since the instructors make such good money.
It's the smaller shops that have regular turn over of staff.

Yes, I know.
I was just making the point, since ckg 'complained' in another thread about answering to a post made in October 2006. And here he is, asking if somebody who posted a question in May 2006 about where to do his open water course on Koh Tao is still there? Would be a longish course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom