Phuket, Thailand Dec.20, 2008-Jan 03 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic67

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband & I are finalizing our plans to Phuket. We are paying the extra to fly Premium Economy non stop from JFK to Bankok on Thai Air. We figure for a 17 hour flight, it is money well spent. We are going to spend the 21-24 at the Chedi resort at Surin Beach. We will then board the Mermaid I (were booked on the Ocean Rover, but they moved) for 9 days then return to the Chedi on the 2nd of January for one night before returning to NJ.

I would love to hear what experiences people have had with Thai Air, Chedi Resort & Mermaid I. Appreciate suggestions of "must see" & "must do" for the 3 days we are in Surin Beach. Any local great Restuarants etc. Appreciate any tips!!

I am fairly certain that the flight from JFK is the Airbus 340-500. It is the only one in their fleet with Premium Economy configured into the plane.

Thanks! On the way to BKK we will be in a row of 3 seats (of course DH will get the isle ) & I will be Stuck in the middle seat for 17 hours. Hopefully you will report back that there is pleanty of room even in the middle!! On the way back to JFK we were able to get a 2 seat row.

Hey scubafnatic67, I have just heard of what is supposed to be a great new restaurant on Surin beach. It's called Taste, and by all accounts they make a mean mojito. They serve meals right on the beach (literally).

I have never set foot in the Chedi, though, so can't help you there. (I hang around the southern part of the island--mainly near the dive pier, LOL.)

As far as MMI goes, I've been on that boat for two trips. While it's not the nicest LOB I've ever been on (or even the nicest one out of Phuket), it's nice enough. Small fridges in the cabins, private bathrooms, Nitrox (partial pressure blended when I was aboard so make double sure to check the content). I'm confident that you will enjoy your trip.

Just read the menu & my mouth is watering. Taste on the beach sounds like a winner!

I am sorry to hear you say the MMI not one of the nicer live aboards in Phuket(we were extremely disapointed when the Ocean Rover decided to move)but were told that the MMI would be one of the best alternatives for a longer excursion. There was one other boat that was much nicer but the trip was much shorter.

What the hell...we are there for the diving...We will love the boat if we have a great dive experience! Hell, if we see a whale shark, the MMI will quickly turn into the best live aboard EVER!! LOL

Just read the menu & my mouth is watering. Taste on the beach sounds like a winner!

I am sorry to hear you say the MMI not one of the nicer live aboards in Phuket(we were extremely disapointed when the Ocean Rover decided to move)but were told that the MMI would be one of the best alternatives for a longer excursion. There was one other boat that was much nicer but the trip was much shorter.

What the hell...we are there for the diving...We will love the boat if we have a great dive experience! Hell, if we see a whale shark, the MMI will quickly turn into the best live aboard EVER!! LOL

No, no. Please don't misunderstand. MMI is a very nice boat, it's just not the best I've ever been on, and I think there are nicer boats out of Phuket with extended trips (for example this boat). Most agents work with only a few of the dozens of LOBs out there, so when these agents tell you there are no other choices, you must take this with a grain of salt.

Anyway, as you say, it's the total experience that counts, not whether you have the very fanciest boat out there. I'm confident you'll have a great trip on MMI.

It is gorgeous! But I feel better now...we would not have been able to make that charter because of the charter dates.....It doesn't line up with our "shut down" for the holidays. Thanks again for all of your feed back!

Back
Top Bottom