New artificial reef off Phuket soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha, ha, ha. I posted it too at the same time!
I think most of us here in Phuket can't wait to go and dive this new site!

Problem is going to be that is out of the route for the other divesites and not big enough to take some of the pressure of Similans.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this is not going to attract many divers.

“The reefs located off Koh Racha Yai, which attract some 600 divers monthly, is currently the only major site,” he added.
Racha Noi? Shark Point etc. are officially Krabi area, so I understand why they don't mention these.
600 divers monthly?

“We expect about 3,000 divers to visit the site annually,” he said.
Now that will take pressure of the Similans for sure.

Koh Racha Yai, which attract some 600 divers monthly
Way more in high season.

The location for these sunken planes is going to be difficult for most operators to reach, since most are based either in Chalong or Khao Lak. Great if you happen to have a dive shop in Bang Tao or Naiharn Beach.... oh, hang on....

organized the project with the support of the Thai Diving Association

Well done for geting your own private tauchplatz.

Last edited by Batfish : Today at 03:23 PM. Reason: bad speling
When are you going to edit the 'last edited'?:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Agree with you though, this is being presented as something for the Phuket diving community, where it is just personal interest, and not going to do the diving community any good.

(that was meant to be a joke.. the speling, I mean)

Also, the planes right off the west coast in shallow water - undiveable a lot of the low season and when you get heavy seas and strong winds surely these things will be moved around by the surge? Or are they planning to fasten them to the sand somehow? And ... did anyone hear about this before seeing it in the Phuket Gazette? Did anyone have a say in this?

Yes, but that was before the Thai Diving Association was presenting itself as THE organisation that represents all DC's on Phuket. On the positive side: they did manage to (at least) postpone the ridiculous new regulations the previous governor proposed to introduce.

Back
Top Bottom