Andaman Sea vs. Gulf of Thailand in August for DMT?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

planetary soul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My plans for divemaster training have been narrowed down to Thailand, and after reading several threads, it seems like Koh Tao is a great place for the DM course and the time of year (August ~ November?). A beautiful place with good diving and training, opportunities for work, and a social scene are what I'm looking for and this seems to fit.

However, others argue that the Andaman sea side (Phuket?) is still better any time of year and I must admit that I am very drawn to western side, though I'd ideally like to be based in Khao Lak and work on a liveaboard in the Similan Islands... but with the season it doesn't seem to work out.

Any input from people living/working there? In terms of both training and diving quality, is there any point to do DMT on the Andaman side at that time of year or am I better off in the Gulf?

Cheers.

The diving is much better on the west coast of Thailand, whatever time of year.

Khao Lak isn't such a good idea in August as it'll be virtually closed down until mid October when the liveaboards to Similan's start up again.

Phuket and Phi Phi would be ok, all the daytrips still run. If you are planning to work on the Similan liveaboards in the high season it's best do your DM course in Phuket with a dive centre who can offer you work on a liveaboard after the course, although you may also have to do your IDC to get work.

It dosent really matter where you do your DMT, its the instructor and dive center that makes the difference... Koh Tao (were I did my DMT) has lots of students all the time, so it will gie you a good chance to assist in certifications. on the other hand, there are more experienced divers on the west side, that will give you more chances to do tours. Navigations are more difficult in koh tao because noen of the dives are drift dives.... you have to find the way back to the boat at every dive.. the atmosphere is more "young" in koh tao.... so it depends what you are looking for.

Koh Tao: "party" atmosphere, young travelers from all over the world arriving and certifying all the time, + good place to learn navigation. drawback: not many experienced fun divers to take touring

west side: not so many OW certifications, more old experienced divers to take touring on more challenging divesites, but less "party"... more oldies over there..... except phi phi

Good luck

IMO, come to Thailand and travel a bit if you can. I did my DMT in the Koh Tao area and found Samui fine for my situation. Presently I dive Pattaya frequently as it is so close to BKK. Depending on your taste, this may be another option. Going with a dive operation that has a good steady stream of customers at varying levels is very important as well. Check out a few areas, and as Martin suggested, it is the instructor that counts. If you want to know more about Samui, PM me.

Based on the time of year, I would consider the Gulf. Seasons can vary, but the following seems to be true:

Oct-June Andaman

June-Oct. Gulf of Thailand

Good luck,

AZ

Augustus-September will be excellent for the Gulf/Koh Tao however Oct/Nov can be tricky, but there will still be diving done, all year round.

Martin Norway summed up some good facts as well.

Where ever you go, enjoy!

Koh Tao: "party" atmosphere, young travelers from all over the world arriving and certifying all the time, + good place to learn navigation. drawback: not many experienced fun divers to take touring

west side: not so many OW certifications, more old experienced divers to take touring on more challenging divesites, but less "party"... more oldies over there..... except phi phi

Good luck

Hmm... good point. I'm most interested in guiding rather than assisting classes. And I imagine on the west coast there's a better likelihood of moving on to a LOB from there. Less party atmoshphere is ok, as long as there still is some!

OK, interested in guiding is fine. BUT your "bread and butter" is knowing how to maintain control of divers, how to oversee divers both on and off the boat, assessing them, seeing the unbelieveable mistakes that they make, being prepared!
If you can assist with students in training you can do anything.

As for Tao being young, it is still young(ish), but is maturing fast. You can go out with the youngsters or not as you choose. There are many families here now and semi-retirees.

Also Tao has a huge range of courses going all the time. More variety. Maybe a few less fish.

If you intend to go to Instructor, TAO!

I agree with Bob, especially regarding your ability to maintain contol of divers and learning how to recognize and respond to problems. You get much more experience with that by assisting with courses. So, Tao is probably the better option...

I agree with Bob that in Tao you will have to cope with many many students doing alot of silly things, and this will teach to you to be alert and sharp at all times. And personally I prefer the ambience in Tao, over the West side. So maybee a good idea is to start in Tao, and when you get tired of the dive sites over there (when you find Chumpon, Sail Rock and SW Pinnacle not to thrill you anymore..) and you have assisted enough students..... move somewhere else!!

To find the right shop/instrcutor you should fundive with a couple of different shops there until you hook up with an instructor you come along with, and ask him for a DMT, the prices are more or less the same all over (aprox 22' baht). The instructors make alot more money, compared to the time they spend, doing OW's, so its important you find an instructor that is interested in doing a good job, allthough the work/pay ratio for the instructor is relatively poor for a DMT, compared to a OW, they find teaching the DMT more fun, and you will also give him/her a helping hand, but just keep this in mind. An instructor who does a 5 student course OW will make about 9000 baht, in 4 days and doing 5-6 dives, incl. confined. He will make less teaching you, and spend alot more time and energy doing so, so find someone who cares :)

For the DMT you will mostly deal with OW students, and those who do AOW have normally just finished their OW. (As for specialities; neither drift, wreck nor cave is possible, and many of the students find DPV and Photo oto expensive, so be prepared for working night dives, multilevel and PPB hehe...) There are hardly any using nitrox either, but its really not much use for it an Tao...

I would check out "Sunshine Divers" in Chalok Ban Kao. They seem very good.
If you want a special and "hard core" experience (read individual/personal with crazy instructors) go with Scuba Shack, allthough this gang might not be to everyones taste, they are a nice bunch once you get to know them, and very good divers...

Good luck!

Try Planet Scuba, we are nice as well!!!
I am the CD and I do all the DM theory and skill circuits and our team of experienced instructors will help you all they can.
I am not sure I am using this board to its full. I am reluctant to advertise. Is that wrong?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom