Dive Boat Sinks - Koh Tao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ex-Aquanaut

Contributor
Reaction score
Reading Big Blue Tech's blog today it seems that the weather down Koh Tao way is pretty rough (Sunny and clear in Pattaya!). But today's post also mentions that some dive shop's boat sunk?

Can anyone elaborate on the following?

These waves and wind proved too much for one dive school ,who will remain anonymous, when their boat got into a bit of trouble and sank in a shallow dive area where it was hiding from the elements.

One benefit to this unfortunate incident is the creation of a shallow and publicly accessible wreck where previously all the wrecks on Koh Tao were reserved for technical diving or experienced divers. In comparison this new one can’t really be called a Ship Wreck, it’s more a sunk boat.

This wreck is lying upright in 15m of crystal clear water with a buoy line on it for everyone to see. There’s nothing particularly interesting inside except the odd news paper or sunglasses but you can see the tank racks that would hold the scuba cylinders for their customers. There is the slight hazard of the petrol and oil that leaks out which could be smelled on our gear after the dive.

Wrecked by the weather | Big Blue Tech News

Which shop is that? I can't quite make out the writing on the side of the boat...and no color to give me a clue.

Bad luck to someone.... but you can now run wreck courses on Koh Tao! ha ha

As far as I know....

The diveboat was sitting idle at it's mooring, outside Sairee Beach. Strong wind came in, the boat turned and as it was extremely low tide it hit the reef. Got a crack and started sinking. Was then dragged (and dropped) near the buoyline, outside Japanese Garden.

No drama

And Aquanauts - The weather here is not that rough. And no funny containers around.

Hey Devon Diver

Nope. Two different incidents. Last one very recently. The other one more serious and far out in the gulf.

Different dive shop as well

Yeah..I worked out the boat that sank off Sairee now.

At least there is only one banana yellow boat to be seen in those waters nowadays! ha ha

The last incident was just as descibed, little converted fishing boat hit the reef in big waves, no-one on board, , no real drama. Island DIve Club is the company. Funny dive for a while until it breaks up and drifts away, wooden wrecks don't last long here.

Devondiver, it was nothing like the DJL's complete and utter fiasco, I think only one company is capable of that

J

Not this little yellow converted fishing boat :confused:

We dived off it last month it would not be a great loss if it did.

Attachments

• DPP_0082.jpg
    DPP_0082.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 165
Yup You can dive on it now.......!

Real unlucky accident, very low water and a short an violent squall that came flying in.

No one on board no one hurt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom