Missing Buoys on Pattaya's Kood Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ex-Aquanaut

Contributor
Reaction score
Some good news in today's Pattaya Mail newspaper about the running problems with the Kood shipwreck and its buoys.
----------------

City officials are promising better patrols and a new buoy for one of Pattaya’s most-popular scuba diving sites after markers anchored by the city and local dive operators to locate an undersea shipwreck repeatedly have gone missing.

Pattaya Mail - Vol. XVII No. 32 - Friday August 7 - August 13, 2009 News

Also

Pattaya’s Kood Shipwreck to Get New Buoy, Better Patrols | Thailand Tech Diving

So buoys are believed to just be cut and lines are stolen? If they are reusing the stolen buoys can they be identified at other locations?

Some good news in today's Pattaya Mail newspaper about the running problems with the Kood shipwreck and its buoys.

Thought for one minute you were going to say you had stopped using the forum as a sales pitch.

looks like no such luck.

----------------

City officials are promising better patrols and a new buoy for one of Pattaya’s most-popular scuba diving sites after markers anchored by the city and local dive operators to locate an undersea shipwreck repeatedly have gone missing.

you do surprise me. :shocked2: The 'best' dive shop in Pattaya, and you can't find a wreck without a permanent shot line fixed to it???? :confused: :wink:

Can I be as bold as to ask? where and when do you teach your trainee instructors this skill?

:mooner:

LK - Please don't start again!

Why are they only looking at the Kood? Only one line on both the Hardeep (permanent steel buoy has been missing for a while) and the Khram. Both are better tourist attractions than the Kood (bad vis & poor marine life)

LK -- It's the Pattaya Mail. Write a letter to the editor if you don't like it.

Apecks -- Pattaya City Hall was easier to manipulate than Sattahip. As for marine life, gets better all the time. Remember the Khram after just two years. Now look at it.

Why are the buoys so important? Can you just not put your own shot lines down when you go to dive there?
Then there would be no obstructions in the way of other boats and fishermen. I would have thought that would be a small price to pay to keep the locals happy?

Apecks -- Pattaya City Hall was easier to manipulate than Sattahip. As for marine life, gets better all the time. Remember the Khram after just two years. Now look at it.

The main problem with the Kood is that it was sunk in the wrong location. The vis will always be bad and it is just not sheltered enough to be that busy.

Why are the buoys so important? Can you just not put your own shot lines down when you go to dive there?
Then there would be no obstructions in the way of other boats and fishermen. I would have thought that would be a small price to pay to keep the locals happy?

Shot lines would not be a good idea there as it is just too busy, last time I dived there there were 6 boats moored around it and about 10-15 divers on the line doing there safety stop.

Completely agree with you Apecks. I cant see how it will ever become anything more than a deep/wreck training dive that is close to Pattaya, however some shops love it because it is a wreck dive without having to invest in the additional diesel to take customers to the Khram and give them a propper dive.
And if you are unfortunate enough to visit when there are 6 boats on site, it would make for anything but a pleasant dive on such a small wreck.

LK -- It's the Pattaya Mail. Write a letter to the editor if you don't like it.

I must say aquanauts, it's very good of the Pattaya Mail to assist with the training of your interns, I never new they cared so much. :)

Is it just yourselves or do they teach all the Pattaya shops to locate the wrecks and dive them when their is no permanent buoys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom