Advice on Koh Tao dive shops needed ASAP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HappyHonu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just found out that I get to go to Thailand for two weeks - but I'm leaving this Sunday (April 17th)!!! EEEEK!

I will be staying with a friend who just moved there (I don't know where he lives on the island), and need recommendations for high-quality, fun dive shops since I will not be staying at a dive resort.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Also, what dive sites should I go to? I have close to 50 dives in all kinds of conditions (deep, drift, strong current, night) and I like seeing both small things and larger pelagics. And turtles, of course. But I would like to concentrate more on the things that are unique to diving in Thailand.

Any other advice about the island or traveling to Thailand in general would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Alexandra, Happy to be going to see the Honus

I just found out that I get to go to Thailand for two weeks - but I'm leaving this Sunday (April 17th)!!! EEEEK!

I will be staying with a friend who just moved there (I don't know where he lives on the island), and need recommendations for high-quality, fun dive shops since I will not be staying at a dive resort.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Also, what dive sites should I go to? I have close to 50 dives in all kinds of conditions (deep, drift, strong current, night) and I like seeing both small things and larger pelagics. And turtles, of course. But I would like to concentrate more on the things that are unique to diving in Thailand.

Any other advice about the island or traveling to Thailand in general would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Alexandra, Happy to be going to see the Honus

I wouldn't bother diving Koh Tao. Head west and get on a liveaboard to the Similan Islands. The season will be ending end April so you're just in time! Then head back to Koh Tao and spend some quality drinking time with your friend.

If you want any more specific details (ie. Names and numbers) send me a PM.

Stefanie

@ Stefanie: Read the OP's question? It states why they are going to Tao.

@HappyHonu: There's a wide selection, and it really does matter where you will be located on the island.

I strongly recommend Master Divers, if you are near Mae Haad (where the pier is)
If you are nearer Sairee Beach, then Big Blue, Davy Jones or Seashell are good options.

Last edited:
@ Stefanie: Read the OP's question? It states why they are going to Tao.

@HappyHonu: There's a wide selection, and it really does matter where you will be located on the island.

I strongly recommend Master Divers, if you are near Mae Haad (where the pier is)
If you are nearer Sairee Beach, then Big Blue, Davy Jones or Seashell are good options.

No need to be rude Andy. Just my honest opinion. She's going to be there for 2 weeks after all. Plenty of time to do a 3-4 day liveaboard and still plenty of time in Tao. There are only 2 decent dive sites in Tao; Chumpon Pinnacle and Sail Rock. And a lot of boats won't go to Sail Rock.

That and Similans was on Cousteau's list of top 10 divesites in the world. Although I think that needs to be re-evaluated...

Besides, I have friends on both sides who would be able to help her out.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to be rude Andy. Just my honest opinion.

I prefer Hondas to Toyotas.

That's my opinion too. It is equally unrelated to the OP's question. :mooner:

She's going to be there for 2 weeks after all. Plenty of time to do a 3-4 day liveaboard and still plenty of time in Tao. There are only 2 decent dive sites in Tao; Chumpon Pinnacle and Sail Rock. And a lot of boats won't go to Sail Rock.

In which case, the whole of Asia becomes an option...and there are far more interesting destinations that west coast Thailand.

But then, as the OP stated.... they are going to Koh Tao to visit with a friend.

Every time a question is asked about KT in this forum, it seems like someone needs to 'educate' about the delights of the West Coast. It gets boring... and it insults people's intelligence.

Just saying...

Thanks for everyone's replies.

A major issue with this trip is that my house is under construction, it is costing *a lot* more than we thought, and I'm trying to get away from the noise, dirt, and stress. My housing and my plane tickets are free, and I can really only afford to dive and eat. But I wanted to take this great opportunity to go, and if the diving really does suck (although I doubt it, especially compared to Puget Sound), I'll just lie on the beach and get some much-needed sun. :)

Thanks again!

Alexandra

I can really only afford to dive and eat.

If you want cheap, KT is the place, probably some of the cheapest dive trips and courses in Thailand available there.
You also mention you want quiet. One thing to beware is some of the 'cheaper' boats can become quite crowded.
Loads of dive shops on the island, walk around and talk to some and make sure you get one that suits your requirements before you book, I am sure you will find that little bit of effort in research time worth it.

Where ever you end up I hope you enjoy.

Alexandra, you'll find the diving at KT to be a nice change of pace from Puget Sound, and in terms of honus, you will find that we are rather impoverished in comparison with your second listed home location.

We have a forum member here who lives and works on Tao, and I'm guessing that if she sees this, she'll have some specific recommendations. Generally speaking, though, it's laid back enough on Tao that you can spend your first day going around to the shops near your friend's place to chat with the staff and ask about their approach, boats, main clientele (students or fun divers), prices, schedules, etc. Go with the one you connect best with. Since you're on a tight budget, you might find, too, that you can get a discount if you dive repeatedly with one op. If you bring your own dive gear, you may get another discount. Just ask what the policies are and get a sense of whether you think the shop offers the kind of experience you're looking for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom