Similan Liveaboards (Is someone really asking about them again?...Please read)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akfisher

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Newbee to the fourm (yeah big post #1! :D)
Two of us are looking for a Similan liveaboard (4day/4night) trip for sometime in the end of February beginning of March (wanting to book this yesterday, I know it’s the busy season!). I have read a number of posts on SB but I still have a few questions. By shopping around online I see there are a lot of liveaboards and even more agents. Some of these agents have told me that they would send their own staff on the trip to “take care of us”, is this normal or are we going to be, in a way segregated from the rest of the group? Should I even deal with agents or is it better to work the company that owns the boat?

Originally we were looking at budget liveaboards but are now looking up to midrange. We would both like to do AOW and if it works out financially also get a Nitrox cert. Looking to spend about $1500USD (each) for everything (am I in the range here?)

On all of SB I haven’t seen anything about M/V Hallelujah (which is the upper end for our budget). The boat looks wonderful but we would rather have an amazing instructor and a great crew then a nice vessel if we can’t have both.

But in all we are pretty laid back, fairly new to diving, want to continue to learn/experience the sport and most of all have a great time by enjoying the people as well as the diving on this liveaboard.

Any and all suggestions are more then welcome!

Oh boy. I can't wait until the replies start coming in. :p

One thing I will (can?) say is that for just about everything visible to you, you will be treated the same by the crew whether you book directly or through and agent and have the agent along to "look after you". Above water, you should not be segregated at all from the other guests. If the agent or their staff instructor is on board, you will likely be diving just with that person so, in that way, it depends on who is the better guide/instructor - the one working full time on the one boat or the agent.

OP: Your profile says that you've been certified over ten years, but you have less than 50 dives. Is that correct?

Are you planning to do the AOW and get a few more dives in before the liveaboard?

OP: Your profile says that you've been certified over ten years, but you have less than 50 dives. Is that correct?

Are you planning to do the AOW and get a few more dives in before the liveaboard?

I felt odd filling in that part of my profile... I went through my Certification at a young age with family and not until lately have I tried to spend more time diving. Both my wife and I are planning on doing AOW while onboard the liveaboard. We are also would like to get Nitrox certified while on board. We aren't planning on doing any dives before the liveaboard but we did some diving in Mexico in the fall.

After reading a lot of SB posts I have a feeling we might fall into the dreaded "OW's" that no one seems to want on their boat... but I am sure we
will be able to win everyone over above water
:wink:

There is just so much information online and we are just hoping to get set up with an competent and enjoyable instructor, we are leaning towards using Phuket Scuba Club as an agent(thoughts?)

Hi again, Kevin. By now you have probably seen my reply to the PM you sent me, but your questions there were a little different from the ones you ask here, so I'll reply briefly here as well.

Newbee to the fourm (yeah big post #1! :D)
Two of us are looking for a Similan liveaboard (4day/4night) trip for sometime in the end of February beginning of March (wanting to book this yesterday, I know it’s the busy season!). I have read a number of posts on SB but I still have a few questions. By shopping around online I see there are a lot of liveaboards and even more agents. Some of these agents have told me that they would send their own staff on the trip to “take care of us”, is this normal or are we going to be, in a way segregated from the rest of the group?
I am one of the "agents" you describe, though I act as a proxy representative of the customer (like a buyer's broker) and not as a sales representative of the boat operator. In other words, the customer's needs are of primary importance to me. As such, if my customers need/want a private instructor or private DM with them on their trip, I would prefer to identify and hire this person myself rather than taking a chance on whomever gets assigned to my customers by the boat operator. As Z said above, you will be able to socialize with everybody on the boat in a normal way, but while you are underwater and during briefing/debriefing sessions, you will be interacting only with your own personal dive staff person.

Should I even deal with agents or is it better to work the company that owns the boat?
If you already know, without any professional assistance, what boat is best for you, in most cases it doesn't matter at all whether you book directly or through an agent. If, however, you become overwhelmed with the options and can't figure it out on your own, using a professional agent is wise. The agent will offer a number of options that meet your needs and will answer your questions to help you make a final choice. In other words, if Chantal and Kevin (and their staff) have spent time working with you to identify and select your liveaboard, you should allow them to make your booking. If you go directly to the operator after they have done the work, you will prevent them from being paid for the work they did on your behalf.

Originally we were looking at budget liveaboards but are now looking up to midrange. We would both like to do AOW and if it works out financially also get a Nitrox cert. Looking to spend about $1500USD (each) for everything (am I in the range here?)

On all of SB I haven’t seen anything about M/V Hallelujah (which is the upper end for our budget). The boat looks wonderful but we would rather have an amazing instructor and a great crew then a nice vessel if we can’t have both.
The reason you can't find reviews for this boat is because she is a new offering this season. However, the company running the boat is an established one with a long history on the island. The boat is nice, and the dive crew are very competent.

But in all we are pretty laid back, fairly new to diving, want to continue to learn/experience the sport and most of all have a great time by enjoying the people as well as the diving on this liveaboard.

Any and all suggestions are more then welcome!
Hope all of the above (in addition to the PM) was useful to you. And I hope you have an amazing adventure here in Thailand. Finally, Welcome to ScubaBoard!

I'd figure I'd post here as I just came back from a 7 day/6 night liveaboard and when I initially set it up I didn't know much about where I should be looking or who to book through. The place I booked through was Kiwidiver and I had an excellent time. I don't think that you'll have too much trouble doing your AOW course as there was someone on the boat when we were that was doing his course as well. When I booked through Kiwidiver, Kevin (the owner) set up our place on the South Siam #4 boat. I would recommend going through him or at least shooting him an email to ask if he's able to throw together a AOW course on the boat. $1500~ was about what I spent on a 7 day liveaboard and if you factor in the course & nitrox - you should be fairly close to that budget. All in all it was an amazing trip and I know you two will have a blast! If I may make a recommendation - perhaps make sure that you have a few "fun" dives, maybe around Richelieu rock?

Actually, I was on the Hallelujah in January. Nice boat, nice, although a little "military" instructors/DM's:). I think you will be in good hands aboard the Hallelujah, as they had several people doing AOW on our trip. I would also recommend Nitrox. That said, I would recommend doing AOW before doing the Similians.........
The boat is big, lots of space(the skipper does not always manage doing the dropoffs as close to the divespot as smaller boats)
And I would advice you to check up on currents, they are always strongest around full moon.We got caught up in very strong currents with our DM(but I guess we had more dives than the others and got the least experienced DM...:D) The ones who did teir AOW took easier routes!
Phuket Scuba Club is an excellent diving center in Kata/Kharon. Took AOW with them a year ago, and dived a lot there in january. Their Kharon branch is on the beach, so you can get daily beach dives on the house reef, or dive on the nearby island Koh Puh from Longtailboat. They always seem to have very good and experienced divemasters and instructors working there, so when we're in Phuket, they will always be our 1st choice.

may i ask who your dm's were? i was on the boat last november. half filled boat which was nice and we had two dm's, steve and a lady from thailand(i forgot her name). both were good at pointing out the small stuff.

Actually, I was on the Hallelujah in January. Nice boat, nice, although a little "military" instructors/DM's:). I think you will be in good hands aboard the Hallelujah, as they had several people doing AOW on our trip. I would also recommend Nitrox. That said, I would recommend doing AOW before doing the Similians.........
The boat is big, lots of space(the skipper does not always manage doing the dropoffs as close to the divespot as smaller boats)
And I would advice you to check up on currents, they are always strongest around full moon.We got caught up in very strong currents with our DM(but I guess we had more dives than the others and got the least experienced DM...:D) The ones who did teir AOW took easier routes!
Phuket Scuba Club is an excellent diving center in Kata/Kharon. Took AOW with them a year ago, and dived a lot there in january. Their Kharon branch is on the beach, so you can get daily beach dives on the house reef, or dive on the nearby island Koh Puh from Longtailboat. They always seem to have very good and experienced divemasters and instructors working there, so when we're in Phuket, they will always be our 1st choice.

Steve, Joe(think he was from Eco Divers), and Lawrence. Lawrence was a bit fast in strong currents.

Back
Top Bottom