Review of "The Junk" Liveaboard with photos of damage from collision

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickcavanaugh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last edited by a moderator:
That's quite a trip report. And story.

This accident occurred more than 2 years ago in (Peninsular) Malaysian waters, NOT Thailand. The vessel was cruising at night when "run-over" by a large vessel and sunk within minutes. The other vessel never stopped nor provided assistance in any way. Some of the crew were badly injured but managed to get in one of the tenders and were only many hours later rescued by a local fishing boat. The one and only guest on the vessel (who was sleeping in his cabin below deck during the collision) was never found and presumed dead.

Pretty similar though

We were cruising at night and we were struck by a 70 foot fishing boat. If the fishing boat was traveling fast, we would have had significantly more damage and probably would have sunk.

Fishing boat did stop since his bow was struck us and his lighting boom went through the salon window.

Looks like the damage was to the starboard side of the junk? If so, the junk was at fault for not giving way. The fishing vessel would have been the stand on vessel, and the junk would have been burdened, i.e. would have had to take action to avoid the collision. The fishing vessel is higher on the pecking order than a passenger vessel, making the junk the burdened vessel once again. At the end of the day, both vessels must take action to avoid the collision at the point that they see that the other vessel is not doing what it is supposed to.

"No one sounded the alarm.  No one came down to the cabins to alert the passengers.  This was surprising and I felt very unprofessional.  They claimed they did an inspection and everything was fine."

So Wookie what should have been done? IMO at a minimum, a muster of all persons, passengers and crew, should have been conducted. How did the Captain know that no injuries had occurred or that some one had not been knocked over board? A Midwatch with no one at the helm does not surprise me at all. It is amazing that this does not happen more often.

I think your opinion is right on....

At the end of the day, both vessels must take action to avoid the collision at the point that they see that the other vessel is not doing what it is supposed to.

That of course assuming the pending incident is seen at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom