Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Diving in June / July

Will be missed

It's pronounced CARE-oh, and
    it means "Of course I
    want to!"

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OzGriffo View Post
    Firstly, thank you to everone for their suggestions. It's most appreciated.

Quero - yes I do prefer more rustic areas. If I could do the diving I wanted to at this time of the year, staying somewhere like Koh Lipe, Koh Bulon etc would be my preference, but I beleive it's the wrong time for the Andaman sea correct?
    We can dive in the Andaman Sea all year, but the prevailing winds, coming from the west, make swimming at our sandy beaches problematic due to rip currents, so at that time of year we have many fewer visitors. With fewer visitors, dive centers at outlying islands like Koh Lanta simply don't have enough customers to make dive trips feasible, and in addition, boat travel can be problematic with the small boats that dive centers on Koh Lipe employ. From Phuket we use large boats that can handle the sea conditions, and we take divers to the sheltered sides of the islands, so we still dive. What I'm saying is that "wrong time of year" is not accurate for the diving itself, but rather for the passenger loads at the smaller islands. There are liveaboards departing from Phuket that visit these small islands, however.

I understand Koh Tao is not really rustic, but I was working on the assumption that it was still less touristy than areas like Phuket, Koh Samiu, Phi Phi etc?
    Not really. Just because there's no airport doesn't make it more rustic. It's every bit as developed for tourism as Phi Phi, in my estimation, and even more so perhaps since there is actually automobile traffic there. All of the islands you mention have areas that are more built up and areas that are more rustic, and this includes Phuket (perhaps especially Phuket given that it's Thailand's largest island and really only a small part of it is developed).

If you want a Gulf island that's less developed than Tao, you might like Koh Pha Ngan, but not near the site of the full moon parties. The rest of the island is more rustic.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Quote Originally Posted by OzGriffo View Post
    I understand Koh Tao is not really rustic, but I was working on the assumption that it was still less touristy than areas like Phuket, Koh Samiu, Phi Phi etc?
    The crowds may be of a different type, compared to Phuket mostly, but still you can't swing a cat without hitting a tourist at Koh Tao.
    Not saying that I don't like the place, but now it's definitely on the well beaten path.

Scuba Instructor

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    June is not a busy time on Koh Tao at all and the conditions are lovely .....it starts getting busy mid July and August its swamped......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12