Diving in June / July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griffo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi There,

I've decided to take some time off, and am looking at spending 3 weeks in Thailand doing some diving. I can go any time between Mid June and the end of July. I realise that's a fairly short window, but is there any difference really in the accessible diving during this time?

I've done a couple of dives off Koh Lipe, which is where i did my first ever Discover Dive, but have no other experience diving in Thailand. I believe the south is better at this time of the year?

I'm also scheduled to do Fundies in the next 3 weeks, so wouldn't mind diving with a dive op that has tech divers or courses. I am toying with doing a TDI trimix course, or even one of the PADI Tech courses if it's available. However I'm also happy to do pure rec diving for the period simply to get my dive count up (I need 100 dives post Fundies to do any further GUE training). I like wrecks too so would love a balance between reef and wreck dives.

Any input would be really appreciated.

My wife and I dived off Phuket in May 2009. Also did PhiPhi and a couple off Railay. Phuket was best. Nice easy reef diving, PhiPhi was a terrible dive when we were there, although I know it is highly regarded by others. Railay was very cheap and quite pleasant, although not really amazing.

Water temps at that time were 29c. I think June/July is the height of the wet season so you might want to factor in some down time.

You could try contacting Quero, She runs a dive shop on Phuket and will have more info. It was all rec diving for us, I have no idea about the tech side of things sorry.

Thanks. I was hoping to stay away from Phuket and other Touristy areas if possible. Anyone know what Koh Tao will be like at this time?

Quero has hooked me up with what looks like an interesting trip. Depart Hat Yai on July 7th and head up to Koh Samui with a number of dives at Koh Losin. Optionally, you can continue on to Koh Tao with dives at Sail Rock. Contact her for details and prices. (I believe she's away from home just now, so you'll have to give her a few days.)

The conditions in Koh Tao will be great - we do have some wrecks to keep you busy as well as some great fun diving and even a bit of tech too if you fancy it - if you want more info - please feel free to message me !

June and July are relatively quieter months during our southwest monsoon season in the Andaman Sea, and while the liveaboards cannot visit the Similans and Surins, we still do local diving in the area. It does rain, but not as much as in May, September and October, so I think June/July/August are generally good months to visit for a low-season trip. However, I understand you want to avoid Phuket and assume you prefer a more rustic experience, but at that time of year there are fewer visitors on the Andaman side, so boats at some of the less frequented areas may not run trips for lack of customers. We have daily trips from Phuket, and since it's low season, you don't have the crowded conditions on boats and in the beach towns that prevail around the peak season, so it's quite pleasant here at that time of year. I can hook you up with tech divers. Are you going for a Tech Fundies or a Rec Fundies?

You ask about Koh Tao. It will be high season in the Gulf of Thailand. Buadhai has mentioned an interesting liveaboard trip that will take in an infrequently dived area of the Gulf with the possibility of stopping off afterwards either at Koh Samui or Koh Tao for more diving post-LOB--you could then go out with Ayesha's crew, for example. This is a repositioning trip, so it's a one-off deal, not a trip you can pick your own dates for.

Thanks. I was hoping to stay away from Phuket and other Touristy areas if possible. Anyone know what Koh Tao will be like at this time?

Koh Tao is (unfortunately) also a very busy and "touristy" island. If you are looking for a quiet, laid back, "off the beaten track" beach / island you're probably better off going to Trang, Satun or Trat Province.

Koh Tao is (unfortunately) also a very busy and "touristy" island. If you are looking for a quiet, laid back, "off the beaten track" beach / island you're probably better off going to Trang, Satun or Trat Province.

Good suggestions, except that all of those places will be in the midst of low season in June/July, so the few dive ops there could very well be closed for the season.

Firstly, thank you to everone for their suggestions. It's most appreciated.

Quero - yes I do prefer more rustic areas. If I could do the diving I wanted to at this time of the year, staying somewhere like Koh Lipe, Koh Bulon etc would be my preference, but I beleive it's the wrong time for the Andaman sea correct?

I understand Koh Tao is not really rustic, but I was working on the assumption that it was still less touristy than areas like Phuket, Koh Samiu, Phi Phi etc?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom