Thailand is home to three of the top 50 dive sites in the world-CNN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero

Will be missed
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
In the Andaman Sea, Richelieu Rock and Elephant Head Rock made the cut, while in the Gulf, Japanese Garden at Koh Nang Yuan was listed.

Into the deep: World

Japanese Garden, ..........two minutes later, I just fell out of the chair and am sitting again.:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Hilarious!

That's the most dived out site in the whole bloody Gulf, the whole list completely becomes useless just by including Japanese Garden into it. Did the author do a DSD there or what?

Now there are some real good dive sites that should qualify, like Sail Rock, but than again, CNN, once more proven to be a reliable joke news center.

Yes, the value of these lists is IMO next to nothing.

It is possible to find lists online of every destination being in the top 10 of 'best divesites in the world'.

Japanese Garden...... just goes to show the value of these lists.

It'd be hard to rate that in a Top 10 for Koh Tao... let alone Thailand... let alone Asia... let alone the world...!

Makes you wonder if whoever compiled this list has actually ever been to Koh Tao or the Gulf.

They probably did... as an OW diver.... and simply compiled the list from personal experience of a very limited number of sites that they'd visited. That tends to be the way with some of these lists.

Other similar efforts I've seen have a hugely regional bias. European sourced lists tend to emphasize the Red Sea. US sourced lists tend to emphasize the Caribbean and Mexico.

Well based on the description, I would bet $100 that the author has never done the SS President Coolidge.

Oh my. A funny list indeed. Should anyone tell them that Richelieu Rock's polarity changed many years ago. I feel awful when customers express disappointment that they didn't see a whaleshark at the site. They obviously have been reading the same reports that this author did because whalesharks are as rare as hen's teeth there. I also note that Raja Ampat made the list..... as a single dive site!! :p

The whole list is full of oddities. I decided, once I'd looked at it, that I now had four websites I wouldn't trust for diving information:
Big thanks to the experts from divezone.net, scubatravel.co.uk, worlddivingreview.com and dive.is for their assistance.

However, getting the mentions is good for us, whether it's for the Andaman side or the Gulf side. We can educate our potential visitors once they contact the real experts.

So it's official now then...........Japanese Garden is better than Chumpon Pinnacle, Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Sailrock etc etc etc. I did about 30 dives at Japanese Garden during my 5-6 weeks on Koh Tao - must have missed the site completely every time, cause I really wasn't that impressed :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom