Koh Tao in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nielsdb

New
Reaction score
Hi there everybody at ScubaBoard!

This is my first post, so I hope you treat me kind :wink:

I'm a 31 year old man from Denmark going to Thailand this August with my girlfriend who has a PADI open water license.
I will be in the Koh Tao / Koh Phangan area and want to take my diver license in Koh Tao - I believe it should be a PADI Openwater ?

Im a total beginner and have therefore never done any diving before, but love to swim and snorkeling and feel safe in and under the water.

Can you recommend any places to take my divers license on Koh Tao?
(that's where we will be most of the time)

How long should it take to complete my PADI open water from start to finish ?

And most important what should the price be?

Thank you so much for your help :)
All the best,
Niels

Niels,

There are probably 30 or more dive centers on Koh Tao, my advice is to have a walk around, talk to various centeres/managers/instructors and go with the center that gives you the best vibes. Ask about equipment used, size of classes and if possible have a chat with the instructor for your class.
The majority of the shops will be PADI but a few will also offer SSI certifications. Both certifications are worldwide recognized, PADI is worldwide the biggest recreational diver organization though.

I can highly recommend master divers. Great people, small classes, personal attention.

As for PADI vs SSI, the courses are much the same except with SSI
A) you can do the online elearnng course before coming for free (PADI charge $USD120)
B) you can borrow any books rather than being forced to buy them

The certain are all recognized the same, and you can cross over to PADI for your advanced ticket if you want to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes thats correct that the elearning is free with SSI - so as you have some time before you get here it would be a good idea to check it out - its free so there really is no harm to register and have a look.

SSI :: SSI Scuba Schools International :: take your dive @ diveSSI.com

This will certainly save you classroom time.

The course normally would take 3.5 days - however if you do the elearning - we usually teach this in 3 half day water sessions and one short orientation and review session at the beginning.

In terms of choice there are actually many dive centres here that now offer both SSI and PADI courses but its worth making sure that you choose the centre thats going to suit you best. Both agencies are equally valid and the science and skills and techniques for learning to dive are the same - its just a different brand - think Coke vs Pepsi....

The course is 9800B or 9000B if you do the elearning before you get here....please make sure that you choose your dive centre based on what you are looking for though and not to save a few baht.

Think about group size and do some research, read some reviews and maybe mail a few centres and make your choice from there.

You can also wander around and talk to a few dive centres when you get here and see what you think about their passion for diving, enthusiasm, experience, facilities and equipment etc...... but do bear in mind that Aug is a very busy time - so do make sure that you atleast have somewhere to stay booked.

The Lonely Planet thorntree often has up to date info on what is happening in Koh Tao or Phangan. The cheapest OW packages as stated starts from 9800 baht and all but guarantees a cookie-cutter course based on minimum requirements with an emphasis on PADI fun Thai-style.

I worked briefly at New Way Diving in Sairee Beach a few years back- I have nothing against them personally, but I still do not recommend that style of teaching diving. Just to be clear- this is not against New Way- it's against all the 9800baht courses which IMO do not make good entry-level divers as the DC's are focused on a price war with each other, as opposed to being focused on delivering quality diving training.

I'm sure that there are some very good individual instructors working there, but the price war set up doesn't allow them to teach as effectively as possible seeing as any additional training time beyond the typical 3.5 days will almost certainly create a financial loss. Not all DC's participate in this price war, but the vast majority in Mae Haad and Sairee do.

Hope you have fun though- Koh Tao is a good beginners diving area.

Does the entry level course still include the basic rescue skills?

Yes, Controlled Buoyant Lift from 6m, make secure on surface, and tow 25m.

BSAC Ocean Diver: Open Water Lesson 4:
At the end of this lesson students should:
● Have further consolidated their ability to control their buoyancy throughout the whole dive and be competent and confident in their ability to do so
● Have further developed their awareness of what is around them in the underwater environment and their impact upon it
● Be competent and confident in their ability to recover an incapacitated diver to the surface and to summon assistance
● Be competent and confident in their ability, should the need arise, to tow an incapacitated diver
● Be competent and confident in their ability to jettison an incapacitated diver's weights/weightbelt
● Have extended their depth experience to between 15-20m
● Have developed buddy monitoring skills

Back
Top Bottom