Similan Islands versus Phi Phi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am on a really tight timeline while in Thailand and am planning to stay on Phi Phi for a few days. I am wondering if it is worth the time/expense to try and do a day trip to Similan islands before I go to Phi Phi. I am going with my boyfriend who does not dive. Or, is the diving at Phi Phi and surrounds (Koh Ha or Hin Daeng) comparable to diving at the similans, or at least not much worse? I think I would feel rushed if i try to do similans, but i also don't want to miss out if it is so much better than phi phi. THanks!!!!

IMO at the moment the diving at Similans itself is not as nice as at the best sites from Phi Phi. Richelieu Rock and Koh Tachai though offer very nice diving, and also Koh Bon, which I never liked in the past, is ok this year.

I spent two weeks on Phi Phi and Koh Lanta instead of doing the Similans way back in 2001 (before the tsunami). I loved my time on Phi Phi (despite the heavy tourist influence then) and enjoyed the diving. I heard from friends who elected to go on a Similans liveaboard that the experience was fantastic. Since I didn't do both, I can't compare the two.

I am researching the same thing, thankfully I have a little more time. I am thinking of doing Richelieu, koh tachai and then phi phi area, skipping similan. It seems if you can get to Richelieu its worth it, if not stick to phi phi. (this is just from my research)

I am researching the same thing, thankfully I have a little more time. I am thinking of doing Richelieu, koh tachai and then phi phi area, skipping similan. It seems if you can get to Richelieu its worth it, if not stick to phi phi. (this is just from my research)

This !!! I did both (liveaboard for similans/tachai/Richelieu) and phi phi LAST WEEK... And I can confirm your research as correct.
I saw a leopard shark and turtle in phi phi and similans left me disappointed. Richelieu Rock saved that trip for me !!

This !!! I did both (liveaboard for similans/tachai/Richelieu) and phi phi LAST WEEK... And I can confirm your research as correct.
I saw a leopard shark and turtle in phi phi and similans left me disappointed. Richelieu Rock saved that trip for me !!

Wow thanks so much for confirming! Glad you had a good trip in the end, time to book mine!

Both sites are great, especially if you can get to Hin Deang, Hin Mueng, Koh Ha, which is accessible from Phi Phi by day trip but also by a lot of the live-a-boards in the region. I hear it's jumping off there at the moment. Better than the similans which has been a decrease in big animals in the last few years. Still staggering vis and schools of big tuna, tevelley's, jacks etc. But having said that, this year has started out nicely. I am noticing my Similans, Surin, Burma etc. tourleader friends posting photos of a lot of big stuff including Manta's, whale sharks and Oceanic white-tips. Feel free to contact me with your dates and I can help you find something nice.

Joe

A Daytrip to Richelieu is possible from Khao Lak and I would say a better option at the moment than just a daytrip to Similan.

Diving around Phi Phi has been good lately but we are getting great reviews of the Hin Daeng and Koh Haa area now, many preferring that liveaboard option to the Similans.

Thanks so much all -- I think I have decided to stick with phi phi and try to do either hin daeng or koh haa one day. Glad your input validates my decision!!

Not many Phi Phi operators head to Hin Daeng/Hin Muang. Koh Ha is a little easier from Phi Phi, but still most operators do not go. If these are the sites you really want to dive, it's much easier to dive these sites from Koh Lanta...

Hin Daeng/Hin Muang have had lots of mantas recently... :)

Back
Top Bottom