diving in phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xavior

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

My GF and I are planning to go Phuket on 1st Jan for about 4 days.
We had just gotten our OW, logged a total of 8 dives so we are still very new at diving.
Are there any recommendations of where to go for a day trip for diving? Any shops would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
X

The best diving can be found around Phi Phi, Shark Point, and Anemone reef which offer great diving for open water level. Racha Noi and Racha Yai can also be very nice but as an operator in Thailand I would recommend Phi Phi, Shark Point and Anemone reef more, these locations are easily accesible by a full day boat trip originating from Phuket with 3 dives. You would be picked up around 7 depending on your location depart to the dive loactions around 8-830 and return late evening. There are many companies available, I would recommend to contact my operation but I will be out of Thailand at that time so I would recommend Local Dive Thailand Phuket Diving | PADI | Liveaboards | Local Dive Team Thailand great boat and great crew.

Sunrise Divers are good for Dayboat diving. Diving in and around Phuket can be a mixed bag. There are some superb dives with lush coral and teeming with fish life - Richelieu Rock, Racha Yai, Racha Noi etc are very good. Also, the Kingcruiser wreck is covered in colourful coral and has lots of marine life including flatworms, nudibranches and a resident spotted moral eel.

But on the flipside, there is also a lot of dead coral in Phi Phi and other places. I went first in 2006 and again in 2011 and sadly there was a lot more damaged coral the second time around. Whether this was due to just coral bleaching or illegal fishing practices is debatable. The answer often depends on who you ask.

Richelieu Rock is in the Surin Islands North of the Similan Islands not Phuket.

Hi Lawrence and hintermann. Thanks for the recommendations, what I am most concerned about is the currents and the visibility during the dives. Our buoyancy control still has tons of room for improvement and I'd like to keep a lookout for my gf also. (Heard alot of accidents happen because of viability issues) any advise on the conditions during start of Jan for those locations?

During my 2 trips to "phuket" and vicinity for diving, visibility was never a problem and to a large extent neither was the current. We encountered an unexpected freak current in Rachai Yai that caught everyone by surprise but it did not last long. Everywhere else diving was relatively easy. With a good DM who will assess your capabilities and limitations, you should be fine.

If buoyancy is an issue and you're worried about visibility I would highly recommend doing a trip to Racha Noi/Racha Yai first. It's pretty nice, fairly easy diving usually with a sandy bottom that starts at around 5-6 m. Phi Phi and shark point are better sites but they can be challenging so do a day to get comfortable then move on to them for your next days diving. And yes local dive team are a good shop with their own boat and experienced guides.

Sorry to those I don't agree with. Done over 500 dives there as a 5 star Dive Center Manager. Given the information that you have provided ( and a really thumbs up for being up front) Stay away from King Cruiser (deep) Anemone reef (heavy current) You want Phi Phi Lay - the smaller of the Phi Phi island and in particular Maya Bay, Where they shot "The Beach" loads and loads to see from 6m to 15M, easy to navigate, and little or no current. Some small swim through. . Please do the dive operator a favor and be honest about your experience and and skills - you are a breath of fresh air :) Now I never worked for or was affiliated to this recommendation but they have a very good reputation amongst pros in the area so I can only pass on and not endorse Scuba Diving Phuket Thailand | Liveaboard : Scuba cat diving ? phuket

Hi Lawrence and hintermann. Thanks for the recommendations, what I am most concerned about is the currents and the visibility during the dives. Our buoyancy control still has tons of room for improvement and I'd like to keep a lookout for my gf also. (Heard alot of accidents happen because of viability issues) any advise on the conditions during start of Jan for those locations?

Visibility is generally quite good during that time of the year butthis can change at anytime, as for currents these will vary during different times of the day and lunar cycle. Racha Noi and Racha Yai are also prone to strong currents just like any other area around Phuket. Also guides will go with the currents most of the time some sites may require you to go against the current for a brief time.mthese are still good experiences for both you and your GF and it will help to prepare you for future diving.

Yea Racha Noi/ Racha Yai are good sites for new divers if you will have a few days for diving then I would recoome d starting with Racha first then Shark Point (possibility to see leopard sharks and), Koh Doc Mai, Anemone Reef (this is where you will have a great chance to see sea horses), then out by Phi Phi you have to islands Koh Bida Nok, and Koh Bida Nai just south of Phi Phi. You can find more info about the sites here. Denla SCUBA | Phuket

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom