TRIP REPORT - Southern Phuket with MV Scuba Adventure / ScubaCat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nudisusie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I booked a very last minute deal (1 day ahead) for a 3 day liveaboard safari in southern Phuket. The itinerary was scheduled to dive Phi Phi islands, Koh Haa and Hin Daeng + a few local sites - 11 dives in total. I checked the weather prior to boarding and it did not look hopeful for smooth sailings- with winds and rain predicted for the next 10 days - errgh. very unseasonable for Phuket. Needless to say we didn't make it to Hin Daeng but the trip was wonderful nonetheless.

What surprised me first off was the health of the reefs and amount of fish life. On each dive we made the reefs teemed with small fish, such as damsel fish, juvenile barracuda and two spot snappers. On several sites, particularly Chimneys at Koh Haa, the soft corals were truly amazing whilst on the King Cruiser wreck we had some current and all the polyps were open on the yellow cup corals - really pretty. I found several nudibranch and flatworm species (not just wart slugs), there were numerous moray eels and so many anemones with resident fish of different species. I also found porcelain crabs, squat shrimp, banded coral shrimp and a whip coral mollusc similar to a cowrie that i needed the id books for. At Shark Point there are huge gorgonian fans which would be great if i'd brought the fish eye lens with me, but they were lovely to look at in any case.

The boat itself was well maintained with a small crew of 6 for a maximum of 12 guests. We had an additional dive master also. My fellow divers were a family from Singapore, a dad & son from the UK, a guy from Hong Kong and a lady from Australia (who was my cabin buddy). The dive deck was quite tight but we dived in small groups and geared up at separate times. Entries were from the back platform and the captain dropped us very well each time. On surfacing we put up SMBs and the main boat cam to collect us - again very efficient and safety conscious. The cabin was small and basic but clean and comfortable with and good a/c unit. Bathrooms are shared but there are 3 for the guests and I never felt i had to wait for others.

The food was delicious - plenty of fresh fruit, salads and veggies at each meal with a choice of chicken, fish or meat for main course. Soft drinks and alcohol were not included but prices were very reasonable and no more than you'd pay in an average bar in Phuket (probably a lot cheaper than some!)

I know the owner of the yacht as I live here in Phuket so I'm fortunate to have received a great discount, but even without that the trip would certainly have been worth it and good value for money. I will go again and fingers crossed I make it to Hin Daeng!

Batangas halgerda.jpgceratosoma.jpgfilefish.jpgfimbriated moray.jpgfish school.jpgglossodoris.jpgking cruiser.jpgkoh haa.jpgsarah and fish.jpgseafans.jpgsoft corals.jpg

I am planning a dive vacation from 26 Jan 15 till 01 Feb 15. Not able to decide weather to go to Koh Tao and do some Tech Fun dives (I am ANDP certified) on wrecks or do a live aboard.

Your report on scubacat is encouraging. Since you said you live in Phuket, you are in a position to advice me:

Can I do both in the timeframe that I have or am I squeezing too many things in the tight time period that I have?

Traveling from Koh Tao to Phuket-which is the best mode of transport?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ferry to mainland and then ? The train and bus maybe?

Koh Tao and Phuket (both islands) are on opposite sides of the country from one another and reside in different bodies of water.

---------- Post added December 22nd, 2014 at 02:02 AM ----------

Perhaps ferry there Samui then plane to Phuket?

---------- Post added December 22nd, 2014 at 02:04 AM ----------

Ferry to mainland and then ? The train maybe?

Hi v.saint007

You could do either option suggested by Chilly ferry to Samui & Plane to Phuket Ferry to mainland and bus to Phuket - the journey takes around 6-8 hours though I've never done it myself.

Not sure with your limited time it would be worth it. I really enjoyed the liveaboard and preferred the south to dives in the north but the group who took the northern trip saw a manta and in Jan there is more chance of whale sharks- but certainly more divers.

There are plenty of liveaboards to suit all budgets - check the schedule on ScubaCat's website to see if something fits your dates

Personally I wouldn't try to cram in both Koh Tao and a liveaboard in such a short period. I think you will spend too much of your time travelling. It also depends exactly where and when you will be arriving and departing. Remember to allocate some time to off-gas between your last dive and your flight out.
If you are flying in to BKK, it is an easy transfer to Phuket by any of a number of affordable domestic airlines. Most liveaboard operators will offer to pick you up from Phuket airport if the boat is departing that evening.
Transportation to/from Koh Tao is more involved because of the ferries needed. I don't think you can travel by air without going via BKK, but I could be mistaken. Remember your no-fly time.
There is no train to Phuket. You might get some of the way by train, but it would not be practical. Nowadays the trains are slower and suffer from more delays than ever.

Mikkel

I am planning a dive vacation from 26 Jan 15 till 01 Feb 15. Not able to decide weather to go to Koh Tao and do some Tech Fun dives (I am ANDP certified) on wrecks or do a live aboard.

Your report on scubacat is encouraging. Since you said you live in Phuket, you are in a position to advice me:

Can I do both in the timeframe that I have or am I squeezing too many things in the tight time period that I have?

Traveling from Koh Tao to Phuket-which is the best mode of transport?

Thanks.

Fir fundiving, Phuket and rest of the Andaman Sea is much better than Koh Tao area. But for tech diving Koh Tao is not too bad IMO.

Nice report Nudisusie. Great pictures too! I always thought that Kingcruiser wreck was a great dive with the huge resident spotted moray eel and those colourful flatworms. Yes, the current can be strong in some parts of the wreck but overll it is a very good dive for photography enthusiasts.

Going over the entire plan, with the constraint of less number of days, I tend to agree with MikkelBC.

Since I am alone and none in my family joining me, I am more inclined on a Tech Dive Holiday to polish my deco skills rather than a live aboard. I can do that when either of my daughters join me, may be in March or April. This will also help me in advancing onto Extended Range Diver later in the first half of 2015.

Having decided that (thanks to all of you for your valuable inputs), there seems to be only one easy way to reach Koh Tao. I fly in from Seoul to BKK, reaching at midnight on 25th. Take a return package of flight and ferry from Nok Air from Don Muang airport, reaching by midday on 26th. Dive for 4 days and start back on midday 31st for a midnight flight back to Seoul. Gives me about 8 dives and more than 24 hrs for off gassing.

@vsaint.007: have a great trip! For your next trip, remember that April is near the end of the season for Similans and nearby.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom