Similan or Richelieu 3 day liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kzlucas

New
Reaction score
We will be in Khao Lak, Thailand in early February for our honeymoon. I recently got open water Naui certified but have not yet dove. My soon to be wife is Naui certified and has been out a dozen times in Hawaii. For both of us it will be our first time to Thailand. We are looking at 2 liveaboard options. (1) 3 days and 3 nights on The MV Manta Queen 2. This will take us to Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock, then to some wrecks on the way back. (2) The second option is 3 days and 3 nights with Wicked Diving to dive sites in the Similan Islands only (not sure of actual locations). It is difficult to decide between the two. Does anyone have personal experiences to steer us one way or the other? It sounds like it would be hard to miss out on Richelieu Rock but the boulders near the Similan Islands sound super fun as well.

We will be in Khao Lak, Thailand in early February for our honeymoon. I recently got open water Naui certified but have not yet dove. My soon to be wife is Naui certified and has been out a dozen times in Hawaii. For both of us it will be our first time to Thailand. We are looking at 2 liveaboard options. (1) 3 days and 3 nights on The MV Manta Queen 2. This will take us to Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock, then to some wrecks on the way back. (2) The second option is 3 days and 3 nights with Wicked Diving to dive sites in the Similan Islands only (not sure of actual locations). It is difficult to decide between the two. Does anyone have personal experiences to steer us one way or the other? It sounds like it would be hard to miss out on Richelieu Rock but the boulders near the Similan Islands sound super fun as well.

Hi Kzlucas, We too are in Khao Lak this February and we are booked on a liveaboard with Sea Dragon Dive Centre on 16th, which has come highly recommended from friends. We have been told the gear is very good and the dive leaders are very professional. I have not dived with the outfits you have mentioned so cannot comment. You say you have only just got your open water certificate. This may determine who you go with as many liveaboards have a minimum requirement. Good luck and have a great time whatever you choose. Chris and Keith

Bon, Tachai and Richelieu Rock can be quite challenging divesites. Similans only may be the best option for you.

None of the better outfits will give you the exact divesites, the decision to dive where when will be made on board, also depending on weather, other diveboats at the sites, preferences of the guests and personal preferences of the guides.

I agree with Stevenl as Koh Bon Tachai and Ricilieu Rock can be difficult with strong currents for new divers. Tachai can be especially difficult as it can be hard to shelter ones self from strong currents also you will be restricted the the top of the pinnacle mostly due to the deeper depths of its sides. Richilieu Rock can be difficult as it is in the middle of the sea and can have unpredictable currents, the site in terms of depth is suitable for all diver levels but not so much for less experienced ones. Koh Bon is a bit less difficult than the other two and can be suitable for all divers but it can still be difficult with the currents depending when divers are dropped. The Similan itself offers many locations for divers of all levels. Also dive site locations can change form advertised schedules anytime due to various reasons which are almost always safety minded decisions.

Now as for Manta Queen II from Khao Lak Scuba Adventures they do run a mic sour it so I think you would be pleased with them. There are many operators to choose from, Oktavia and White Manta are also great operators to look into as well so take your time

Avoid the manta queen fleet. Boats are small, dirty and generally speaking, uncomfortable.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 4 mediante Tapatalk

Avoid the manta queen fleet. Boats are small, dirty and generally speaking, uncomfortable.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 4 mediante Tapatalk
They are aiming at backpackers. So yes, expect backpacker style service and quality, not always meeting everybody's demands, but also backpacker prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom